Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cynthiahuser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2013, 09:19 AM
    Make liquid KOH based Lye from KOH flakes
    Hello! I’m in need of some help. I’m making a batch of homemade liquid castile soap. My recipe calls for 9.39 ounces or 277 ml of lye. Me, not reading the recipe thoroughly before making purchases, bought KOH flakes instead of liquid lye. I need KOH and not NaOH because of it being a liquid soap. Anyway, I’m trying to figure out how much of the KOH flakes to how much water will make a standard concentration batch of lye. If it helps, here is my whole recipe below:

47 (555 ml) ounces olive oil
    32.9 (973 ml) ounces of distilled water
    9.39 ounces (277 ml) of lye (KOH based)

I’ve been ALL OVER the internet trying to find the answer with no luck. There are plenty of Lye calculaters out there but they all give you the liquid amount and don’t refer to the flakes at all. AHHHHHHHHH, I’m so frustrated. I can obviously purchase the liquid lye but I don’t want to because I have a pound of the flakes and wouldn’t know what to do with them or how to dispose of them safely. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Cindy Huser
    “Frustrated Beginner Soap Maker”
    Lol

Check out some similar questions!

The balance and type for k2o(s) h2o(l) -----> koh(aq) [ 1 Answers ]

this equation has water as either a reactant or a product.

How to make my site liquid? [ 0 Answers ]

My site is thefoundthis.com I would like it to be able to fit every screen resolution. Is there a way to do this with js and php or would it be easier to do it with css and html. Please view my source and tell me everything and step I must do. Thanks!

How to make lye? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everybody,I find it hard on how will I perform the Barrel method and the use of Ash Hopper in making a lye for soap. Can anybody share some links for a video about it? It would be a great on us.I want to know what white wood ashes are they referring?

How can I change 17mL of 2.4M KOH to sample of grams? [ 11 Answers ]

A sample of 0.72g of Al is reacted with 17mL 2.4M KOH. Which one is the limiting reagent? 2Al+2KOH+6H2O------------->2KAl(OH)4+3H2 I don't know how to find limiting reagent on this case.. I think I need to know sample gram of KOH... please help me how to find out sample gram of KOH.. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.