Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KatieEighties Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Should I Do a Double Major?
    I have been going to school for awhile and I had a really hard time making up my mind about what I wanted to do. I finally decided to get my degree in Interior Design and I really like it a lot, but I still feel like there are more things that I want to learn and do. It would only take me another year to get a second bachelors degree in Family Services. I think I would like to do it, but I'm not sure what to do. Should I just get my degree in Interior Design and forget about it or maybe take a break after I get my degree and then go back? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 17, 2007, 02:51 PM
    It is as you say only another year to get both so why not stay in college to get them both?. at least when you are done you have 2 different fields of work that you can fall back on.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
    I had a double major in college too - psychology and graphic design (not too unlike your two!). By my third year I dropped the psych one (for many reasons) and went on to have a very lucrative run as a designer. When that got old, I reinvented myself in the recovery industry. I told my graphic cronies it was less money, more fulfilling (groan! LOL) It was experience appreciated but no degree required for running a non-profit organization. Very satisfying work. I sometimes toy with the idea of returning to pick up where I left off in a psych degree and would be more inclined if the overall medical system in this country were in better shape. Either way, you sound very alive and with that you can't lose! Just a few thoughts on this I hope you find helpful.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Mar 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Once you get out, it starts getting harder and harder to go back. Further, the longer you stay out, the more likely you would have to retake classes that you already have taken.

It's always worth learning more, and giving yourself a few extra options for the future. On the other hand, an older degree (if you change careers ten years down the line, say) isn't as compelling as a recent one in the application process.

I'd probably go with the double major and consider the extra year well worth it, but if you don't want to commit to that much just yet, speak to your advisor and find out what additional classes the second major would require, and take them as electives. Plan for completing your primary major in one extra semester, and that way you'll have the flexibility for change between now and then.
    jessincali Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Apr 9, 2007, 08:06 PM
    I too was a double major in college - business and philosophy... In the end I settled for a minor in phil and concentrated on having a job that would pay after school - i.e. - business.
    My advice is to do the double major if you can. I regret not doing mine. It is really hard to go back to school after you are out. The only thing I would be careful about is I know there is a point in which you cannot get anymore government loans (which have significantly lower interest rates). At least that is what my school counselor told me - check with them - they should be able to verify that.
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Major Help [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Last yr my 10 yr old daughter went to live with her father, we agreed if she wanted to come back home she could. We went to court and made it to where he had physical cutody, but judge left me with lega custody. I was to have visitation every other weekend Well I got it about 3 times.. the...

I need major help! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a big problem at school. OK, there is this guy and he has a girlfriend. At the beginning og November he was flirting with me. But I didn't know that he had a girlfriend. So, one of my friends say that he said that I went to talk to him saying that to break up with his girl friend. Which I...

Help me! I'm having a major break down! [ 7 Answers ]

There are two guys at school they both like me. One's a year older, the other is the same age. The guy who is the same age as me is going to ask me out soon it's what my friends all say who overheard him talking but he would treat "Going Out" as just a title and that's not what I want but he's...

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search