Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandmangaara25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2013, 08:26 PM
    What do I do if I have air in my water heater lines, only warm water comes out?
    We just installed a new water heater. Now all that comes out is luke-warm water. The pipes shake when I turn the warm water on, and I think it is air? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2013, 12:20 AM
    I haven't been around in a while (being punished by AMHD), but due to your predicament I'll try to help.

Air is compressible, that's why is makes a lot of noise. The noise will eventually go away, but it's EASY when you do thing right the first time.

Now, I could ask you some questions to make it easier on me and you, but let's try. You probably have both cold and hot air at this point. I'm going to suggest "starting over" at this point,

So, turn off the hot and cold water and make sure the hat water heater can't start. Can you do that? Gas: set gas to Pilot; Electric: Power off

The pipeing layout of your house matters.
    Locate the highest elevation fixture, and hopefully it's a bathtub.
    Open this fixture as as far as your comfortable unattended.

If the water branches aren't too massive, then this may be the only one you need to open. If there are other tubs, do the same. Open so they will drain about 1/2 hot and 1/2 cold water.

Laundry sinks are good too.

Remember, layout is very important.

Find the lowest point that has a water outlet and open it. Air from the top fixture will displace the water removed. If you have a garden hose, it will be a good point for cold water. A laundry tub may be a good place for hot and cold water. Apriori, you should know how far you can open these faucets without flooding.

OK, so we have the water off, the highest faucet open and the lowest faucet open. So far so good. Open the cold water inlet on the water heater.full. (Generally there will only be one water valve on the water heater, Cold in; some might have a cold in and hot out. Be sure all are open full.

Now with spotters (kids) if you have them located at the taps SLOWLY turn on the cold water. You actually want to hear a smooth flow.

The water heater will fill and the air will be pushed to the highest elevation.
    Close the lower elevation valves and open say a laundry sink or things you might have forget. Get a nice flow and shut them off.

If there is a second floor faucet open, just crack it open (hot and cold).

Now go back to the water shutoff and continue opening slowing, stopping a bit, until there is no noise. Open all the way.

Check all faucets starting at the water main. If any were open outside, time to make sure they are closed.

The basic idea is to
    1: Empty all of the air chambers. Some are tougher than others. They protect against water hammer and should be filled with air.
    2. When water enters the pipe it will either compress or replace the air. We want it to replace the air or keep pushing it out. It can't go out if the faucet valves are closed. Since we want to chase it all out, let's chase it out to the furthest tap and the widest taps.
    3) lets use taps that we know won't make a mess. Laundry, shower, outside faucets.

Now go turn the water heater on.

Getting the air out works best if you gently push it out through big openings.

Getting the water out of a line, first make sure that when the valve is off and doesn't leak internally and have air to displace the water from a high point.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2013, 09:57 AM
    I'm glad your back kiss, I always enjoyed you answers.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2013, 01:30 PM
    Thanks. I'm not really back and I have no intention of cleaning out my mailbox. Don't know if you can email me with a full mailbox. Mailbox limits were severely CUT when I became an Uber member. It does create problems when certain experts can email you, but you can't email and PM you, but you can PM them back. A little silly, I'm afraid. I miss a lot of you, but this site and moderators/owners had a negative impact on my well-being starting with one event.

Try composing a reply when not logged in. You will be disapointed as to what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The water heater nipples leak at the union of the water heater. Not the flex lines. [ 2 Answers ]

We installed a water heater and we attached the nipples using sealing tape. The nipples leak where attached to the heater. The threads are clean and even on the nipples and feel the same on the inside of the water heater. What could be causing them to leak?

Hot water heater - only luke warm water [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so we are having one of our bathrooms remodeled. About 2 weeks ago the plumber came out and replaced all the piping for that bathroom. Then suddenly our adjacent bathroom had no hot water (well luke warm water, but we are in Phoenix and it is 111 degrees, so even the cold water is luke warm...

Oil-burner doesn't continue heating hot water for water heater during warm weather [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil-fired burner connected to a baseboard hot water heating system and the hot water heater. There are five zones for heating and one zone for the hot water heater. In the winter, having enough hot water is never a problem. However, when the weather gets warmer and the heating zone...

Why my hot water heater will not keep warm water [ 8 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater and it has work great up till a few days ago. It will start of in the shower like the typical hot water, cold then hot. The hot water will give little shots of cold water while in the shower. Then it will go cold, turn it hotter and it get back hot then it goes cold again....

Replaced water heater, still receiving luke warm water,Why? [ 19 Answers ]

:(At first me and my husband started with replacing elements and thermostats on our current water heater, due to the fact we wasn't receiving hot water. ( It would be luke warm to cold quickly.) Didn't work. So, we purchased a new water heater and had it installed by an experienced friend of ours,...

View more questions Search