Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crowley674 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2013, 08:21 PM
    My mom left her home to my sister and me but my brother is living in the home and he
    My mother died and left her home to my sister and I but my brother lives in the house and pays the taxes who is th elegal owner of the house?
    crowley674 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
    Home ownership
    My mom died she, left her house to my sister and I but my brother lives in the house and pays the taxes so who is the legal owner of the house?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 27, 2013, 08:30 PM
    How did your mother leave her home to you and your sister? Did she put it in her will? Was the will probated?

Was her name the only name listed on the deed?

We need some more details before we can give you an answer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2013, 09:12 PM
    The current owner is the person whose name is on the deed that is recorded.

Living in a home and paying the taxes does not make you the owner,

If the house was left to you and sister, how was it left, verbally, did she sign a deed over? Was it in a will ? Was will probated ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 05:48 PM
    If she "left" the home to your sister and you, that suggests a will. If the will has been probated, the personal representative (if the estate is still un-distributed), or your sister and you (if probate is finished) would sue your brother to evict him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home ownership [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a house with my ex. I moved out in 2007 and stopped paying on it. He still lives there and won't sell or buy me out. Since then I've been married and have 3 kids. He basically is living in property and to me renting my half since we can't live there with him! What do I do and what are my...

Home ownership [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how to changing the ownership of a home because the payments and the interest rate are to high and would like to change home ownership to see if the rates will lower.

Home ownership [ 1 Answers ]

How does my mother add my name to the title

Transferring Home Ownership [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to transfer ownership to someone else. How do I do this without paying any closing costs?

Transferring home ownership. [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if there is a way for my parents to transfer their home to me. The reason we are trying to transfer the house to me is that they will be retiring soon and will most likely leave the country with only occasional visits back to the states. People we've talked to thus far have...

View more questions Search