Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RICKlee46 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 04:02 PM
    How to network 5 different computers
    How to start a workgroup with #1dell with windows xp,#2compaq with windows xp,#3 compaq with windows 98,#4 mac mini 10.4,#5 acer laptop with windows7.I need step by step inst, since this is first time with workgrouping, thank you
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 25, 2013, 04:05 PM
    What are you trying to achieve ?

Jan 25, 2013, 06:55 PM
    To share printer
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 07:07 PM
    Well that depends on a lot of things. If the printer is network capable then just connect it to your LAN. Assuming these other 5 computers are connected to the same LAN, you should be able to add this printer to each computer. No reason to create a workgroup. Your; existing LAN setup, should suffice for a networkable printer.

Again, this depends. If the printer is not networkable and then you have to be able to connect the printer to one computer and allow printer sharing. That is a different approach.

Lets start at the beginning. What kind of printer? What is your network setup?

Jan 25, 2013, 09:10 PM
    It is a canon MP250, the set up will have to be wireless, because they all are far apart, thank you.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 11:51 PM
    By looking up the model of printer you have, I am assuming this is not networkable and only connects via USB. If this is correct, you will have to connect this printer to one of the computers. Preferably one that is stationary and always on.

I have included a set of basic instructions below:

How to Share a Printer Over a Wireless| eHow.com

The part that makes it difficult is the fact that you are utilizing an older OS and a Mac. See if you can at least get your XP Machines to recognize the printer and we can go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I network my computers together xp and windows 7 ? [ 6 Answers ]

What do I need to link my Dell desktop running xp and my HP laptop running windows 7? I have Mediacom high speed internet and a belkin wireless router. My printer is Hp 1210 all in one

How to network two computers using a router [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone I'm pretty new to this networking thing, so my problem I have two pc's A & B using windows xp service pack 2 and a router, connected via the LAN port on both PC . The set up was easy but I can't access the printer and files on PC A from PC B. I used the network wizard to set up a...

Vista does not see XP Computers on Network [ 3 Answers ]

I have a network with a 2003 sbs and xp Pro SP2 clients. We bought three Windows Vista Laptops and joined to the network. 2 of the vista computers can see and ping all the computers on the network but cannot access them and the Xp computers cannot access the Vista Laptops either. One of the Laptops...

Do I have too many computers connected to one network? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a main computer. There are 2 laptops and 3 computers that are wireless and have all been operating fine. Yesterday my husband bought a new laptop, when he's connected my computer is choppy and takes longer than usual to load. Could his new laptop be slowing me down because it's an extra...

I want to learn how to network 2 computers [ 8 Answers ]

I want to learn how to network 2 computers because my boss wants me to learn:) Learn how yo networw to computers

View more questions Search