Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stmoxa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 06:26 AM
    Can short term capital loss offset long term capital gains/
    I have both short term and long term capital loss carryover, and have recently incurred a substantial long term capital gain. Can I use both the carryovers to offset the long term gain, or only the long term loss carryover?
    Can carryover capital losses be offset only against the same type (long or short term) of capital gains?

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gains Taxes - Short Term vs Long Term [ 2 Answers ]

Here are my ST and LT Capital Gains/Losses for past 2 years: 2011 ST Loss = 10k 2011 LT Gain = 5k 2012 ST Gain = 20k 2012 LT Gain = 10k What I would want to do is NOT net the ST Loss with LT Gain in 2011 and just pay the LT Cap Gain Tax on 2011. Then carry over the ST Loss from 2011 into...

Can long term capital loss offset income earned from interest? [ 3 Answers ]

After selling an inherited land, if a person's basis turns out to be greater than the sale price, then his capital gain would be negative. Can this offset income earned from interest during the same year?

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Short versus long term capital gains [ 1 Answers ]

I have an investment account that I'd like to reposition some of my holdings from. For tax purposes, can I offset a long term capital gain with a short term capital loss or do I have to match long term gains with long term losses, etc? Secondly, if I have a long term or short term loss, and I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.