Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eightriver Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 01:08 AM
    Received letter from collection agency but dispute bill
    I need to correct my credit report

I live in Virginia, the attorney is Virginia and collection agency is from Florida.

Almost 4 years ago, I hired the attorney to do some work and paid retainer fee for $3000 up front.

But I found out I did not need to do attorney help. Also when I had question came up 1 week later, the attorney went to vacation for 3 weeks overseas and the attorney did not assign anyone to take care during the vacation time.

So I did not receive any paperwork from them and I decided to terminate the contract and gave them written notice.

I gave up my $3000. But I received the bill totally $8000 and they asked me to pay $5000 more.
    I refused to pay $5000 and told them I will contact with local bar association and BBB if I need to and those places can judge I am obligate to pay or not.

I did not hear anything from the attorney office then they must sold my bill to collection agency.
    When I received the bill from collection agency 4 years ago, I explained the situation and I did not hear from them.
    Also the same time I want to establish my credit report straight and I disputed this bill reported to three credit bureau.

Every year I checked my report and it is still there.
    A couple month ago I requested credit bureau to remove this dispute bill.
    Then I received the letter from collection agency and tried to threat my credit score will be worse if I don't pay off the bill from 2008.

My question is

Who should I contact to resolve or just ignore?
    Should I argue with collection agency or go back to the attorney office?

Other than this, I will pay credit card on time, no late payment last 10 years so my credit is fine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 07:29 AM
    You should dispute the bill with collection company and demand they contact you no more.
    If they want to sue, let them try.

Request the debt be removed from all three credit bureaus

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dispute form for medical bill letter [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has Medicare and Medicaid. She had blood test on 12/2010. Her blood tests were ordinary test; just CBC, cholesterol and this is the only time she had one in 2010. They sent the bill in 9/2011. And I called them and explained them that she had medicare and medicaid. They said it is OK and...

Received a Summons from collection Agency. [ 3 Answers ]

I was served a Summons of Supreme Court today. A Collection Agency is sewing me on behalf of a 4 year old Dentist Bill. I called up Collection Dept. and set up a payment plan. Is there anything I need to do, Before a Court date is issued?

I am being sued by a collection agency, received cert letter 9/22 [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do, I never received any correspondence that I know of until yesterday. 1. Is it to late to ask for validation of debt? 2. Should I call them? 3. The summons said I have 35 days from what date, the date I signed for the letter or the file date?

Received summons from collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance to any who can offer help. Recently we moved out of our rental but drove by to pick up any remaining mail. In the mail box was a copy of a summons from mann bracken LLP for Target National Bank for debt collection. We moved on of the rental on 10/2, so the house was vacant....

Collection agency dispute 30 day [ 1 Answers ]

If you write a collection agency a dispute/verify letter and don't specify 30 days is there any law that states they can take longer or are they bound to the 30 day rule?

View more questions Search