Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
    Daughter in college
    My daughter is 19 and a full time college student living away from home.

Do we claim her on our taxes this year?

As for the college issue, if we do not claim her on our taxes, would she be considered independent when it comes to filing her FAFSA?
    Strength89 Posts: 72, Reputation: 24

Jan 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
    Asking a tax center would be the best thing to do.

My mother claimed me as a dependent when I was in college. I believe you can claim a college student as a dependent up to 23 years of age (or different depending on your home state) and who does not make more than a certain amount for that particular tax year.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 25, 2013, 06:14 AM
    You can claim her (under age 24 and full time student) unless she paid more than half of her support for the year. And yes, she would be independent if you don't.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
    Joypulv,

Your tax advice is correct.

The independent part, possibly NOT.

It depends on the state. My daughter has a job as a nanny and filed her own tax return, but the Georgia college system does NOT consider her to be independent due to her income level. They reason that no one can live and attend college on $400 per month (even though she gets room and board), and thus have dictated that she still is dependent on me until she reaches the age of 25.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my daughter, away to college, as a dependent [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter, 19 years old, has no earned or unearned income, and is a full time student 400 miles away from home. We pay 100% of all her bills: housing, food, books, tuition, etc... The rules seem to say that she has to live with us at least half a year, but she lives with us during summer and on...

Daughter coming home from college every weekend [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter started as a freshman at college about 2 hours away in September. She appears to be quite happy there. However, she feels the need to come home at least every other weekend, sometimes every weekend. I don't think this is good for her. She does have a serious boyfriend who is a senior in...

College age daughter is disrespectful and ungrateful. [ 13 Answers ]

(I accidentally posted this in the "teen" section so I'm re-posting here. Sorry - new to this whole thing... ) HELP. I've been a single mom for almost 10 years and I have single-handedly raised my almost 19-year-old daughter. She is in college now, living in an off-campus apartment, majoring...

I'm looking for the perfect college graduation present for my daughter [ 3 Answers ]

Hopefully I'm to the point. Maybe jewelry or other catogory. My daughter really is what I thought is as close to perfect as you can get. With many family problems she went ahead. She's graduating college next week and will be going to law school next year. The truth is Im not a very unselfish gift...

View more questions Search