Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwade528 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 09:25 PM
    Can't find transcripts from closed college
    I graduated from in 1981 from the Detroit Institute of Technology (DIT). I am planning to get a MBA and need transcripts. The college has been closed for over 25 years, but through research I found that the transcripts were sent to Lawrence Institute of Technology (LIT) which is also in the Detroit area. So, I contacted LIT and they are the caretakers / owners of the transcripts from DIT, but no one could not find any of my transcripts. I was referred to the Michigan Dept of Labor who supposedly had copies of the DIT records also. However, Mich DOL could not find transcripts for me in the year I graduated, nor the following year.

If I didn't have my degree hanging on the wall and some old copies of course records and grades, I would be hard pressed to prove I even went to college!

It seems that I am at a stand still. Does anyone have any additional ideas that can help me with this?. Frustrated!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 PM
    It was 25 years ago. Certainly the school you plan to get your MBA from will accept your explanation regarding all those phone calls (give them contact names and numbers so they can check up on you) and a photocopy of your degree hanging on the wall.

Jan 24, 2013, 10:09 PM
    Wondergirl, thanks for the reply. Your comment is actually my exact plan to fall back on - as a last resort. My biggest concern revolves around future career opportunities. I am considering making a job change (which will allow me more time to get this MBA). However, If I decide to make this change of employment and they want my college transcripts... I could have an issue here. I've never even thought about something like this occurring, since in over 30 years of working I have never been asked to provide college transcripts for a job. Hope this does not become an opportunity. Thanks again.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 10:15 PM
    Whoever wants your college transcripts, do the same thing -- a copy of your degree and a list of the names and phone numbers you had to plow through. After 30+ years, your old transcript and grades are nearly meaningless today. Your work record should speak volumes as to what you have been able to accomplish.

A grad program and degree don't care what your bachelor's is in.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
    Have you taken the entrance exam needed for grad school? GRE or GMAT?

Jan 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Whoever wants your college transcripts, do the same thing -- a copy of your degree and a list of the names and phone numbers you had to plow through. After 30+ years, your old transcript and grades are nearly meaningless today. Your work record should speak volumes as to what you have been able to accomplish.

A grad program and degree don't care what your bachelor's is in.
    I wholeheartedly agree! I am probably overreacting and anticipating the worst scenario... I am a certified business continuity and disaster recovery professional... it is probably just my nature to prepare for the disaster. :-)

Jan 24, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Yes, I took the GMAT last June when I first started thinking about going back. I wanted to see if I needed some remedial training since it has been a thousand years since I was in college. I actually did OK.

Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 PM
    I actually used the GMAT for dummies book and it actually helped clear the fog out my old brain. :-)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
    Ah, I had to write a disaster preparedness and recovery manual for the library I worked at. I suspect you will be fine. Which school are you thinking of for the MBA?

Jan 24, 2013, 10:53 PM
    Sam M. Walton College of Business, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas. I live in Bentonville, Arkansas which is about 20 minutes away. They seem to have a good program for Information Systems.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 11:00 PM
    Grad schools love senior students who have a work history. In the grad school I went to, most us were over 45. I suspect you will be fine. Report back once in a while to let us know how it's going!

That's pretty country. I had a friend in Mountain View near Blanchard Caverns.

Jan 24, 2013, 11:11 PM
    Thank you for the vote of confidence and I will provide some updates on school from time to time. Yes, it is quite beautiful here, I love it! The weather is great (we still get all four seasons, and most of the time - no extreme conditions), zero crime, we saw no effects of the housing market downturn, and my children went to excellent schools. We have been here 15 years and not planning to make any more moves. The funny thing is I am from Detroit and my wife is from New York... definitely city people! This is home now and you couldn't get us out of here for nothing!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 11:16 PM
    People who move to that area tend to stay there, so it sounds like you are no exception! My friend in MV said he was right on the line between snow and rain, so he got an ice storm/sleet/freezing rain now and then, but not enough to drive him away.

You write well and already have done all the right things to find your transcript, so I know you will do well in grad school -- and love it as much as I did!

Jan 24, 2013, 11:24 PM
    I appreciate your comments and thank you for your help. It is now 12:30 here and I'd better call it a day. Have a good night and a great weekend!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cwade528 View Post
    I appreciate your comments and thank you for your help. It is now 12:30 here and I'd better call it a day. Have a good night and a great weekend!
    Same time here. Sleep well and best wishes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find transcripts from closed college [ 11 Answers ]

I have been scouring the web to find the institution I earned my ASEET at 20 years ago. It seems it went out of business or was bought (by whom I don't know) about 3-4 years ago. The name of the school was Metropolitan Technical Institute in Fairfield NJ. 13 years ago I had those transcripts sent...

How do I find transcripts from a college that closed in 1972 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I attended Vernon Court junior college in Newport Rhode Island--I believe that I graduated in 1971.I need to go back to school to attain A BSN and need a copy of my two years there. Can you help? I can't find any links on line. Susie

How to find closed college transcripts [ 1 Answers ]

I went to McKenzie Business College located on 9th street or Riverfront Parkway Chattanooga, TN 37402 from 1974-1976. The school has long since closed. I don't know if the college has another name or not, but - I need my transcripts for admission to another college. Where do I go to obtain my...

View more questions Search