Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robyn!! Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2005, 11:51 AM
    Trying to get into singing
    Hey I really what to be a singer and that's all I can think of do you now of any ways to get to the singing business I would love to hear what you have to say... p.s want to be a singer really badly! :eek:
    mariamar Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Hy Robyn

Why not start trying to volunteer and sing, for instance, on small local bars/cafés on the weekends?.
    Try it! If you really are a gifted singer, who knows.. about what can come next?.
    Go on!. Let´s fight for your dreams!
    Good Luck and believe on yourself!

mariamar
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 22, 2006, 06:14 PM
    I think that users should read the dates on the threads before posting a comment. This topic was posted 1 year ago, and the person that started the topic is most likely gone. I've seen a lot of old threads being dug up, we should look at the dates first so that we don't resurrect old threads.
    Robyn!! Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Okay . Sure if you like to look at the dates on things I guess it would help however I still come her to look at new repleys:)
    jwpowless Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 07:57 PM
    I would love to see you on American Idol! Why not try out?

http://www.americanidol.com/

-Jeff in Michigan
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 04:18 AM
    Hi Robyn,

I see you share my passion for singing! I have always wanted to be a singer, ever since I was 4yrs old. I have performed in many shows, taken singing lessons and sang with many bands and groups.

The music business is very hard to get into, It was hard emough trying to become a DJ, buit trying to become a professional singer is tough.

I suggest you enrole in singing lessons. Learning how to breathe whilst singing (namely through the diaphram) and the pronouncation of your words etc are all vital.

Then you can take part in shows to gain experience and then perhaps look out for auditions for things when you are ready to do so. You will get knocked back at times and you will need to keep trying.

But with determination and ambition you can get there - you will need to practise lots, get loads of experience singing in front of audiences, and do whatever you will be required to do.

I have not yet given up, but finally broke into the entertainment Industry as a DJ which is always a good place to start. I have decided to get back into my singing this year! So you never know you and I may be side by side one day with our name in lights!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 04:55 AM
    Hi,
    The answer before mine is very good. Singing lessons are almost a "must", before anyone would consider you.
    Cowgurrrl22 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Heyy, I have the same problem. I want to be come a singer so bad but I am 2 young 4 am. Idol and with all I do now there is no room 4 singing lessons.
    As 4 singing at local places... welll lets just say I have stage fright, when I see every one I sing very soft, and it sounds bad. Anyone have tips on getting over stage fright... besides imagining evry1 in their underwear... tried... it doesn't work!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
    I will say this, no you don't really want to be a singer "that bad" if you are truly dedicated and devoted and really want to be a singer above all else.

You would put it first among all the things you have to do and find a way to take lessons. My wife and I operate a music school, and those that are really dedicted are easy to see, they never miss lessons, they work everyhting else around their music, not music around their lives.

May 3, 2006, 12:40 PM
    Well, accually I think I don't really need lessons because my friend who does, teaches me evrything and I want it bad
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Cowgurrrl22 - that really is not the right attitude. Its great that your friend is able to pass on her knowledge and experience, but you still need to take professional singing lessons.

There is a lot more to be a singer than wating to be one and allowing a friend to guide you.

You have to work hard, practise lots and e prepared to take critism in a positive way. You may very well have lots of potential - but that is not enough to become a professional singer!

I started lessons when I was 15yrs (now 22). I had lots of potential (still do) and I was taught many things. How to breathe properly, How to pronounce your words properly. If there is a 'T' or 'D' on the end of a word you are singing you must make sure you actually emphasise that in your singing.

My teacher used to cover things in the lesson and tape record exercises for me to follow. Whilst that might be the case with your friend, that is specific to her and her voice and her capabilites. You have no idea yourself what your streths and weaknesses are and your friend is not going to want to tell you (even is she knows) as she will not want to hurt your feelings.

It does not matter how good you think you are, without hard work, lessons and true ambition to do whatever it takes, which involves sacrificing other things in your life then it will only ever be a dream.

I am sorry to be so blunt, but I really feel you are being unrealistic.

I have worked so hard at my singing over the last few years. Taken part in various musicals (which included extra singing lessons), attending voice warm up sessions (because you cannot sing just off the cuff - you have to warm your voice up, just as you would your body before partaking in a sport) - I have sang in public with bands, at Karaoke (for practise), sang in front of friends, Sang christmas songs at various old peoples homes, in church, in competions whilst on holiday, I also sang in assemblies back when I was at school. I have taken as many opportunities as I can.

I have even had the privilidge of being a backing singer to a Religious Artist and I got to go to a recording studio. Where we had a CD produced. I am not really that religious and I am do not really listen to Relgious music out of choice (nothing against it, just my choice) but I providing backing vocals for a relgious song, because I am prepared to do whatever it takes and how ever long it takes.

I think you really need to think about what your saying and really think about what's more important to you? Because I would never let anything get in the way of my singing or DJing - they are important to me, because I am good at them - but even so - and even though I have had lessons, I plan to have more lessons, because I know I could be even better!

At 15yrs I knew I had potential, so I took lessons. At 22yrs I know I am good having had lessons, but I know I could be that much better with more lessons. There is never a moment when you stop imporving yourself as a person, or improving your singing voice. There are so many different styles of music, that a good singer should be able to sing all types.

Its not about becoming a 'New Pop Star' or about 'The Money' its about appreciating music and wanting to express yourself through singing.

Singing is my passion - and even though I may not make it as a professional. I willnever stop singing or enjoying it!

May 5, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Heyy- not 2 share personal info but I am only 11- and good for my age, I know whether my friend hits it big or not she will pass on her talents and teach. She does a great job w\ teaching me. When I am older(maybe next yr I am going 2 quit cheerleading because my love 4 it died down and I LOVE singing- u started when you were 15, that means I got time- 4 yrs accually... dont be so tuff on me. And my friend will say anything 2 ne1- she's that kind of person. I wish there was I thing where you could attach files because I would attach one of me singing and you people could tell me how I do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
    While it can help, even professionals, the "Stars" even use singing coaches. Also not knowing what type of music they are learning and the quality of the teacher. For example, musicians trying to get into college often get a music coach for a time to better qualify. Professionals on broadway for example often use coaches while working on new pieces.

Your friend can't help you with listening to what you are doing and seeing if your breathing is right and working on your problems.

And I will go back to my original statement, you are making excuses why you are not taking lessons. Next are you singing for free anywhere, nursing homes are great places for christian, folk and classic music.

There are 1000's of people who want to sing, there are 1000's talking lessons right now. But there are only a few that will work hard, day and night putting it first in their life.
    Cyd1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Hey I really what to be a singer and that's all I can think of do you now of any ways to get to the singing business I would love to hear what you have to say... p.s want to be a singer really badly!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    I think that users should read the dates on the threads before posting a comment. This topic was posted 1 year ago, and the person that started the topic is most likely gone. I've seen a lot of old threads being dug up, we should look at the dates first so that we don't resurrect old threads.
    Okay . Sure if you like to look at the dates on things I guess it would help however I still come her to look at new repleys
    Heh.. owned.
    Anna13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 02:25 AM
    I realize it has been several months since a comment was made on this topic. I want to encourage Robyn with her singing, I have always enjoyed music and only wish that I could have chosen it as a career alas I have voice problems not even a voice coach can explain. Robyn if it is truly what you want then go for it and don't let anything stop you. I have been browsing this site and I see so many negative comments to such a question and it breaks my heart. Listen to what everyone is saying, voice lessons aren't "recommended" these days they are "required".

Now maybe I can find some helpful tips here, since we are talking about singing does anyone have advice on how to enhance my voice? I have been told by friends, family, instructors, and agencies that my voice is wonderful. However, and this is where my instructor was confused:confused: , I can't sing very loud. I can yell my lungs out but when I go to sing very loud my vocal chords can't seem to handle it. This is the main reason I can't get into the business:( . My instructors don't understand what happens I do the exercises and they can feel my diaphragm pushing out the air support I need but I can never get any louder than a regular talking voice.

Any way peace to all and best wishes to all who wish to enter the music industry.;)
    raaj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn!!
    Hey i really what to be a singer and thats all i can think of do you now of any ways to get to the singing buisness i would love to hear what you have to say ..... p.s want to be a singer really badly!! :eek:
    I want to become a pop singer
    rissaLove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2013, 09:08 AM
    Hello everyone... well were can I start, I love to sing A lot I would really love to get into the singing business. Im 17 turning 18 in 5 months I've been thinking about this a lot latelyand its something I like to do... I know its hard in order to get into the singing business business ready to do whatever it takes to get me to the top.. but I just have so many questions, for example, school? In a junior in h.s will I need to finish school first before I start anything, or it doesn't matter.. yes I've read all these comments but nothing that answers my question... I do want to take a singing class, I do know how to play piano.. but I'm still trying to train my left hand to follow up.I think I have a nice singing voice. But I want to get better qt it! I just need answers anyone?. please and thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Singing career [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to help one of my girlfriends with guidance to a singing career. I was thinking of such options as singing commercial jingles as well as theatrical singing as well... Can someone point me in the proper direction please! Thanks...

Singing Pipes [ 6 Answers ]

My pipes have been "singing" lately, especially during the hottest days. Everything outlet (kitchen sink, dishwasher, toilet, lavatory, shower) in the house causes the sound. It occurs mainly with the hot water, but the cold cause it intermittenly Over the weekend we found that the sound travels...

Singing Career [ 3 Answers ]

:) Hi I was just wondering if you can please help me get a singing career I write my own songs record them on tape and listen to myself but it's hard to find a career around where I live please help:)

Hey I want a caree in singing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone one had anyadive on how to get a caree in singing please contact me bac :) this is because my little girl has a wonderful voice but I don't no how to get her out in the open :o

View more questions Search