Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alpha_Male81 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
    !Quadratic prblem solving!
    I have a couple questions to ask and I really need to know them within two days:

1) WHen a projectile is fired, the vertical component of its initial velocity is such that its height h, in metres, t seconds after firing is given by h= 250t - 4.9t^2. Is it possible for the projectile to reach a height of 2.75 km? 4.0 km?

I've tried many possibilities, but I'm struggling and now time is running out so please help me.

Also

Three pieces of rod measure 20 cm, 41 cm, and 44 cm. IF the same amount is cut off each piece, the remaining lengths can be formed into a right triangle. What length is cut off?

And..

Chris cuts hald a rectangular lawn, 40m by 30m, by mowing strips of equal width around the perimeter. Jerri cuts the small rectangle left inside the area. How wide are the strips that Chris cuts if they are to share the work equally?

I need to know all the work so I can know what to do exactly, thanks a lot for your time and patience.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Take a look at this post: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...ing-16727.html

His first question in post 1 is VERY similar to your first question.

Read my response, try it on your own, and post your solution and I will look it over for you.

Mar 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Take a look at this post: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...ing-16727.html

His first question in post 1 is VERY similar to your first question.

Read my response, try it on your own, and post your solution and I will look it over for you.
    Yup Ive seen that question arleady and tried it out, but it actually applied to another question I was assigned. Thanks though, Im still trying to fidget around with it for this question, but still no luck. I'll keep trying but thanks for that piece of info
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Three pieces of rod measure 20 cm, 41 cm, and 44 cm. IF the same amount is cut off each piece, the remaining lengths can be formed into a right triangle. What length is cut off?

Here's a hint: Let x equal the amount cut from each and use Pythagoras. You will end up with a quadratic. Solve it for x. One solution will be extraneous. The right one will be obvious.

Mar 18, 2007, 04:59 PM
    I ended up getting a variety of answers, but I kept on playing around with the problem until I got:

x= - 1/9.8 , -499/9.8

I'm not sure if that's right, but that's one of the possibilities I got
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2007, 06:43 PM
    No, No. You can't have a negative length.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equations... Problem Solving [ 6 Answers ]

A ball is thrown straight up. Its height, h(in metres), after t seconds is give by h= -5t^2+10t+2. To the nearest tenth of a second, when is the ball 6m above the ground? Explain why there are two answers. I don't know how to manipulate the formula and how to solve for this problem. Second...

Quadratic Equation word problem [ 4 Answers ]

A boat travels at a speed of 20 mph in still water. It travels 48 miles upstream, and then returns to the starting point in a total of 5 hours. The speed of the current is ____mph? I am not getting the setup right. Can someone help me?

Solving Quadratic Equations/ WORD PROBLEMS [ 5 Answers ]

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO SOMTHINGLIKE THIS?? The length of a rectangle is 2 feet more than the height. The area of the rectangle is 5 foot , find the base?

Solving Quadratic Equations to Graph [ 3 Answers ]

How would I graph x^2-3x=4 to solve it? And I would I check? Thank You.

Quadratic Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Pick out the X and Y coordinates of the vertex from the equation y=x^2+12x-7 Thank you.

View more questions Search