Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chinnamma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 01:55 AM
    'says','believes', 'is of the opinion'
    How to frame sentences using the following 'says', 'believes', 'is of the opinion'?can u give some examples?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 24, 2013, 03:28 AM
    In conversation: He says the President is right.
    Grammatically correct: He says that the President is right.
    In that example, it means believes and is of the opinion. Says can also just be a statement of fact: 'He says he went to the store an hour ago.'
    Believes is much closer to 'is of the opinion,' USUALLY.
    He believes (that) the President is right.
    But sometimes people say believe when they mean they plan to do something that they might not have planned to do, or that people wouldn't expect them to do, and it has nothing to do with opinion. 'I do believe (that) I will actually clean out the garage today.' But that would be speaking in the first person, almost always. It has a hint of opinion to it, because the speaker might not really follow through.
    'He is of the opinion that the President is right' is very much like believes, and probably seen more in writing than in casual conversation. And 'that' would not be left out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Believes them over me [ 18 Answers ]

I've been married for 8 months now. Recently we have been going out separately to give each other time with old friends. Last week I went to a bar with some friends and an ex boyfriend showed up. We saw each other and started talking, catching up. Some of my husband' s friends were at the same bar....

Explanation of what one believes. [ 18 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Jesus Christ is a leader, his apostles were his followers. Why do you feel they followed Jesus? They believed what He taught. We today follow what we are taught, if we think about what we are taught and believe with our whole heart and mind, should we be able to explain why ...

Who believes in fighting for love until the end and who believes its time to let go? [ 126 Answers ]

Basically I'm just curious because there are lots of people that believes that there is a time to let go and move on with your life but is there anyone who believes that love will make them fight for the very end? And why? For me even though I still have feelings for my ex it haven't been the...

What a fool believes? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All! This is a kind of complicated story (arenīt they all?! ). I met a rather attractive but considerably younger woman (I am 37 and she is 22) and we flirted for a while and then about 5 weeks ago, we got together. We haven't slept with each other yet and I am planning on being in the...

View more questions Search