Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lyndacf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2005, 10:51 AM
    Loss of water pressure in kitchen faucet
    This past week we've experienced a loss of water pressure in our kitchen faucet. The faucet is only 6-months old (Moen Extensa Chrome Single Handle Kitchen Faucet With Pullout Spray). Our handyman installed it for us. The house was built in 1992 and all pipes are in good condition upon a home inspection in April 2004 when we bought the house. We have city water. All other water pressure in the house appear to be fine (other bathrooms/laundry washer/toilets). Could possibly need a new hot water heater as the hot water in the shower only stays really hot for a 15 minutes shower. This shouldn't be the case considering there is usually no other water running in the house when someone takes a shower and I would imagine the hot water heater (original one installed by homebuilder) is supposed to accommodate the size of our house (2756 sq.ft. 5 bed/3 full bath).

Back to the original question -- I've run my finger across the faucet spout (where the water comes out) and that seems to help improve the pressure temporarily for a few seconds but the it goes back to the same low water pressure. The spray feature pressure is a little better than when regular water is coming out but we still notice a diminished pressure from a week ago.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
    Lynda
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2005, 04:52 PM
    Loss of water pressure in kitchen faucet
    Hi Lynda,
    Have you removed the aerator from the end of the spout and checked the screens for blockage? Have you a full stream with the aerator off?
    I would also have the bottom element checked if you have a electric water heater. It sounds like your heater is working on only one element. Let me know how you make out. Regards, Tom

Jan 21, 2005, 06:26 PM
    Thanks, Tom!
    Tom,
    Thanks so much for your guidance. I'll check as you've instructed and report back on Monday! [Internet access only at work -- never bothered setting up internet at home]

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
    Lynda
    mjh7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2005, 01:47 PM
    Hey thanks
    I just found this site looking for an answer to my slow faucet flow problem in the bathroom. I saw a similar problem posted and you suggested checking the aerator, which I did. It was plugged . I cleaned it , problem solved... thanks

Jan 24, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Tom - more troubleshooting please.
    Hi Tom,
    We checked the aerator and didn't see any blockage -- still having low pressure. We also have a gas water heater. Is there another section of the faucet that could possibly have a blockage?
    Thanks again!
    Lynda
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 24, 2005, 12:30 PM
    Tom - more troubleshooting please.
    Yes there is. Shut off the water and open up the valve. Do you need instructions on how to remove the Moen Cartridge? Now check the inlet ports of the cartridge for crud or blockage. Before you reassemble it place a pan over the open valve to prevent splash and turn on the water a flush out the supplies. Is there a full stream from the open valve? Let me know how it worked out . Tom

Jan 24, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Tom - thanks again!
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks so much for responding so fast! Husband is out of town until Wed so he'll be the one to check the cartridge then. You'll be hearing from me one way or the other. Thanks again... greatly appreciated!
    Lynda
    chieftheking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
    How do you remove the aerator on Moen Extensa kitchen faucet? Thanks Jim

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure loss after faucet replacement in kitchen [ 11 Answers ]

We replaced the Kitchen faucet because the old one had a water leakage. Since we change to the new faucet the Water pressure has dropped dramatically. We checked both the hot and cold water valves they were fully open. Any ideas.

Low water pressure on kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hoping that someone can help me on my issue because I am at my end! I recently replaced my kitchen faqucet with a Peerless, two handle faucet with sprayer. Since then my water pressure has been poor. I then took off the sprayer and capped the middle threaded outlet underneath but I still have...

Low water pressure from kitchen faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I turn on my hot or cold and just getting half of what I should have, I checked the aereator and it it OK, Fixture is 2 yrs old, hot and cold handles. I unscrewed top knob to take apart but could not unscrew the handle or cap. Help

Kitchen Faucet water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I replaced the kitchen faucet fixture in an apartment. The piping is old galvanized. We also replaced the supply lines and shut off valves. The supply lines are the new fangled flood proof lines that shut off automatically if the line is torn. The problem is we now have much reduced...

Hot Water Pressure- Kitchen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The other day, we turned the kitchen faucet on and there was no hot water pressure all of a sudden... we just get a trickle. The water pressure in the rest of the house is fine (hot and cold) and the cold water comes out fine as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

View more questions Search