Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chinnamma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2013, 03:35 AM
    Use of 'dislike'in communication
    Can we say "i dislike coffee?How to use 'dislike'in communication?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 23, 2013, 04:04 AM
    Yes you can.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 23, 2013, 10:23 AM
    The word "dislike" can be used as a verb along with an object, as in: "I dislike coffee," or "John dislikes his job." It can also be a noun: "I have a strong dislike of cold weather."
    chinnamma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 01:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Yes you can.
    Can you please explain in detail?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 24, 2013, 02:13 AM
    I think that in the US anyway, dislike has a slightly more formal and stilted tone than what would usually be just 'I don't like.' I can't see myself saying 'I dislike coffee' in conversation. I use it as a noun for emphasis on occasion, such as 'I have a strong dislike of shopping malls' or even more emphasis, 'I have an intense dislike of shopping malls.'
    To add emphasis to it as a verb (I strongly dislike shopping malls) sounds a bit awkward to me, even if correct usage, although I think I have used it that way with the adverb 'emphatically.' 'I emphatically dislike shopping malls.' This is nit picking and possibly just me, but I thought I'd mention it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Like or dislike? [ 3 Answers ]

My boss and I have never had an easy working relationship. We disagree like crazy on most issues. We have always been able to work it out before it becomes an issue. But at times things were said that was hurtful to both of us. However when we are not disagreeing we actually work together very...

Data Communication, Evaluate the performance of communication [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I would like your help in the below question: Scenario Mr Paul Rainer sits in his office at Avon Cosmetics, in Salford Quays. Mr Rainer is Vice President of corporate MIS and his mind is moving to communications. His Enthusiasm is infectious and all the executives in the company...

View more questions Search