Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alutwick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Fair price to pay for a business
    I am considering buying an auto towing business and I'm not sure how to decide what is a fair price for this business. It is a well established business in a small town, but being a service business, there aren't a lot of assets. Just looking for some advice on how to put a fair dollar amount on this type of business.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 06:31 PM
    Do they have any contracts with the city or state for towing abandoned autos ?
    Have you reviewed not only their accounting sheets but seen the last three or four years income tax filings to see what they are showing as true profit or loss.

How is it established ? Will you be buying the name ? Will there be a contract that stops the seller from opening a new business in the local area for a number of years ?

But really the only value is any written contracts for future business from repair shops, or the city. And the value of the equipment.
    It is great they had maybe 10,000 tows last year, but that is no promise of future tows.

Perhaps offer a certain amount of money for the equipment, than payments over the next one to three years of a percent of business.
    It is always a risk to try and pay for value of future business. That money could be used to advertise a new business if you just wanted to start a new one.
    alutwick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 07:31 PM
    This is helpful advice. This deal is just in the preliminary stages at this point, but I want to make an informed decision. This and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:33 PM
    We are a service company in business for over 20 years.

In our Articles it was determined by our attorneys and accountants that 80 to 85 % of the average of the last three years of total gross sales was a good figure.

This included equipment, contracts, length of existing contracts, years in business, good will and internal structure of the company.

I paid a lot of money for this info, enjoy my friend.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find a fair price [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking at a body shop in witch leases the building it is in.what should I look at or be looking for to find a fare price?

How to determine a fair price for a business [ 3 Answers ]

My employer has offered me and my son a chance to buy her business. It's a commercial cleaning service that brings in aprox $15,500 a month. She wants payments of 7000 a month to be taken off the top of the profits. I'll be paying this for 5 years. There is no building in the sale, only...

Is this a fair price [ 4 Answers ]

1998 chevy envoy anyone know if $1,200.00 is a correct price for a headlight replacement

Fair price for surgery in LA [ 2 Answers ]

My cat must have her spleen removed. Mast cells are present. Price range boggles my brain. Would like some viewpoints. Is the most expensive always the best? Just wondering what is reasonable. Thanks for your thoughts.

What price to pay for business [ 2 Answers ]

undefined I am purchasing a new age bookstore. And our only problem is coming up with a fair price. The business as of now takes in under 40,000 a year profit. We came to price of 100,000, 35000 inventory, 5000 fixtures and furniture. 60,000 goodwill. Is that a fair price? Also we have...

View more questions Search