Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baxter401 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 AM
    Corian table legs
    What is the best way to attach metal folding table legs to a 24"x60" piece of corian
    I am trying to make a portable table for use in meat processing
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2013, 05:00 PM
    Hi Baxter

How thick is your corian?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2013, 05:20 PM
    Corian is not a good surface to cut meat on, or any chopping function for that matter. It cannot be sterilized.

Jan 27, 2013, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    hi baxter

how thick is your corian?
    1/2"

Jan 27, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Corian is not a good surface to cut meat on, or any chopping function for that matter. It cannot be sterilized.
    Table is only being used to stuff sausage no cutting or chopping
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 06:22 AM
    With only 1/2" corian I don't think the table legs would last very long, even if you epoxy in some brass inserts or use helicoils to join them to the table.

In this case, I would suggest that you cut some 6" wide strips of 3/4" plywood and then use PL construction adhesive (or similar product) to adhere the plywood to the bottom of the corian table. Then, assuming 1/8" thickness for the leg brackets I'd use 3/4" screws to screw the legs onto the plywood.

That would be my approach to this, but wait for a few others to pop in as we have a number of individuals here that can come up with some really great ideas!

And in terms of sterilization, yeah, cutting on the board would probably not work out great, but it is a non-porous surface that prohibits growth of bacteria on and below the surface and is easily sterilized using a 10% bleach solution.

Mark
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 07:09 AM
    I agree with Massplumber.

I spent years working with Corian. It is easy enough to sterilize so cutting on it should work. It's way better than say a butchers block of wood.

As for mounting the legs, I also agree that you need some sort of substrate such as plywood. This can be attached with a strong adhesive. We used to use silicone and hot glue and once it dried, you would need to hammer and chisel to remove it.

Jan 28, 2013, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    I agree with Massplumber.

I spent years working with Corian. It is easy enough to sterilize so cutting on it should work. It's way better than say a butchers block of wood.

As for mounting the legs, I also agree that you need some sort of substrate such as plywood. This can be attached with a strong adhesive. We used to use silicone and hot glue and once it dried, you would need to hammer and chisel to remove it.
    Can you recommend an adhesive
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 08:20 AM
    I recommended PL construction adhesive, but maybe Odinn knows of something better?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 08:20 AM
    We used DAP and hot glue.

Alex Plus 10.1 oz. All-Purpose Caulk Clear-18072 at The Home Depot

Though, to be honest, it looks like the PL Construction Adhesive that Massplumber mentioned is probably going to be the best choice for you.

PL Premium 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive-1390595 at The Home Depot
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 10:04 PM
    Just how portable does this portable table have to be?
    Corian is kind of heavy.

Does it have to be 24" X 60"?
    Could it be 30" X 60"?

Have you already purchased the Corian?

If you fix Corian to a wood substrate you need to use a flexible adhesive. Corian and wood move in opposite directions.

Jan 29, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Just how portable does this portable table have to be?
    Corian is kind of heavy.

Does it have to be 24" X 60"?
    Could it be 30" X 60"?

Have you already purchased the Corian?

If you fix Corian to a wood substrate you need to use a flexible adhesive. Corian and wood move in opposite directions.
    I already have it 26"x66" and the table is only used once a year can you recommend an adhesive, I want to attach the legs to the wood and the wood to the table the corian has a green backer board under the 1/2" corian

Jan 29, 2013, 02:20 PM
    I think I would build a 3 or 4" skirt. Attach the legs to the skirt with through bolts and wing nuts. Run a slot on the inside of the skirt. Attach the top to the skirt with clips which fit in the slot and screw into the top, if the backer board will hold a screw. You will find these brackets in furniture hardware catalogs. If the backer board will not hold a screw, remove and replace with plywood. Attach the Corian to the plywood with a bead of silicone. Put a bead around the edge and diagonally from corner to corner.

This way you should be able to remove the top from the skrit, remove the legs from the skirt and transport it easily.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Although I am sure PL adhesive would work well for you (I've seen it used successfully with corian and wood outdoors before), I am always careful on this site to present, "That would be my approach to this, but wait for a few others to pop in as we have a number of individuals here that can come up with some really great ideas!"... see post #6

There is always someone (usually Harold (Hkstroud)) that comes up with something really cool!

Thanks HKS

Jan 29, 2013, 09:56 PM
    Just thought I'd try to post a drawing.

Foot Note:
    I pay Mark good money for those kind of comments
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corian sink spill over tubeneeds repair? Need a name of a Corian Company in my area? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a thirteen year old house with Corian counter tops in all areas of the house. I recently realized that our sinks in the bathrooms need repair. The tube that connects to the overflow drain has detached from the underneath of the basin, on six of our sinks. HELP! I can't find anyone who...

Are there any special cleaning crack tips for Corian Sink? Do I just get a Corian Kit [ 1 Answers ]

I need to repair a crack in a Corian Sink. Does any one know if I need to clean it out with anything special? It about 6 in. long. It's on the flat part of the sink.

How to bond Corian shelves to Corian shower walls? [ 3 Answers ]

About 4 years ago, I had a Corian shower installed because I preferred it to tile/grout. I thought that the technology allowed for the (essentially) PERMANENT bonding of Corian to Corian so I had 3 small corner shelves installed to hold soap, shampoo, etc. Now, one shelf has fallen off, one is...

Legs on Antique Table are too short [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lovely antique dining table that has been in my family for four generations, but the turned legs that are on small castors are too shortfor us, and it's difficult to sit at. How can I "extend" the legs so that the 6-foot+ members of our family can sit at the table comfortably?

View more questions Search