Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2013, 04:51 PM
    Why don't Americans have bidets?
    You would think that with all the men complaining about lack of sex, they would at least try to figure it out.

When a woman has sex, the vagina gets messy. Being a warm, damp mucus membrane, without washing, it smells. Bacteria grow happily there. A wiped off penis is not a bacteria haven.

So, if a bidet was handy, quick washes before returning to work would be easy and doable. Therefore quickies would be done.

A hand-held shower is good too but requires complete nakedness. Bidets do not require complete nakedness... neither do quickies.

Thoughts?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
    Perhaps you have a future selling bidets to Americans.
    You just never know what will sell to a culture - Belgians eat their fries with mayonnaise. Try selling THAT to Americans.
    greentree30 Posts: 143, Reputation: 28

Jan 22, 2013, 04:26 AM
    Good question! I have wondered that myself since it is such the norm in other areas. I live in America and I've never seen one. But I have always been curious about them. I've always wondered does it go "up" you when you wash, or does it only rinse off the "outside"?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 08:50 AM
    I would be happen with a toilet personally. Don't have a single one on the entire college campus
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Hello S:

I'm going to run out and buy one... Going to get me a button saying I got one, too. That's BOUND to help me pick up chicks, won't it?

excon
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 10:40 AM
    You have the solution! Hallelujah! We're not getting the sex 'cause our women don't want to dirty up their parts! Why didn't I see this before. If there was something that could catch the semen before it got into their lady bits. Something rubbery... maybe ribbed for her pleasure... but not glow in the dark. That's creepy...

Speaking of creepy, the couple times I have used a bidet, yea they have them in north america, have left me feeling moist and icky. Almost prefer the swamp a$$ to that.

And Mayo on fries is quite tasty. Especially a nice garlic mayo. Mmmmmm...
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello S:

I'm gonna run out and buy one... Gonna get me a button saying I got one, too. That's BOUND to help me pick up chicks, won't it?

excon
    You could try that button! But, I think that most of us ladies would prefer at least a try at understanding or even the teensiest tweak of empathy before your insecurities are pinned to your jacket.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:32 PM
    This is the very reason soap and washclothes were invented.

I'd like to see the statistics concerning people of either sex who are abstaining due to body odor.

I'm not seeing that to be a big problem - but maybe it's the company I keep.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    You have the solution! Hallelujah! We're not getting the sex 'cause our women don't want to dirty up their parts! Why didn't I see this before. If there was something that could catch the semen before it got into their lady bits. Something rubbery.... maybe ribbed for her pleasure... but not glow in the dark. That's creepy....

Speaking of creepy, the couple times I have used a bidet, yea they have them in north america, have left me feeling moist and icky. Almost prefer the swamp a$$ to that.

And Mayo on fries is quite tasty. Especially a nice garlic mayo. mmmmmm.....
    Sure rubber stuff catches and contains semen. But if the woman is aroused, or a lubricant is used the area stays messy. Messy reeks! Moist and icky after you used one to wash? Weren't there any towels?
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Some men are into "moist" and "icky" is apparenty in the eye (or nose) or the beholder. While you're asking direct questions, why don't uncircumsized men pull back the foreskin when they wash?

And, yes, women use lubricants, become lubricated. Then add semen. "Reeks?" "Icky?"

Are you confusing a bidet with douching?

(Note to J9 - I know it's not recommended. I'm just asking.)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:44 PM
    Well, it's the norm for American's to shower daily. We're very clean people. Most people probably have sex when they go to bed at night or in the morning, and then take a shower - no need for a bidet. We clean ourselves up in between as needed.

I think bidets are so popular elsewhere because it is more acceptable elsewhere to not shower daily, and so people wash selective parts of their bodies on days they don't shower. No worry though - American's (well, there are exceptions) are not walking around dirty - we are among the cleanest people in the world - in fact, it's a bit of a national obsession - just walk through one of our grocery stores to see all our products for cleaning ourselves, our homes, our cars -
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is the very reason soap and washclothes were invented.

I'd like to see the statistics concerning people of either sex who are abstaining due to body odor.

I'm not seeing that to be a big problem - but maybe it's the company I keep.
    Wash cloths and soap are fine, but more of something I'd use on a camping trip. An abundance of warm accessible water is what, a luxury for those who keep nasty company?

My dad thinks that bidets are only for French whores... But he's in his eighties.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Trust me on this - I have no knowledge of what women do to keep clean on camping trips. I never want to know what women do to keep clean on camping trips.

I thought this was more a general question than a specific question.

Personally I have no plans ever to have sex while on a camping trip or, for that matter, go on a camping trip.

I have never discussed bidets with my Dad so I don't know about that part.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    Well, it's the norm for American's to shower daily. We're very clean people. Most people probably have sex when they go to bed at night or in the morning, and then take a shower - no need for a bidet. We clean ourselves up in between as needed.

I think bidets are so popular elsewhere because it is more acceptable elsewhere to not shower daily, and so people wash selective parts of their bodies on days they don't shower. No worry though - American's (well, there are exceptions) are not walking around dirty - we are among the cleanest people in the world - in fact, it's a bit of a national obsession - just walk through one of our grocery stores to see all our products for cleaning ourselves, our homes, our cars -
    You make good points. Americans are uber clean. "We clean ourselves up in between as needed," you said. And that is the point. Europeans do selectively wash and need fewer showers as a result.

How many times have American women taken a shower in the morning and then taken another before the hot date? For me, every single time. Now that I'm married, I like to use the hand held shower both before and after and wish I had a more convenient option.

It's not all about odors. Warm moist dark places are a bacteria paradise. And the female urethra is only about an inch long. Bladder infections are so easy to get and very unpleasant. Germs in the folds can cause general itching or swelling... Wash it quick!
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Trust me on this - I have no knowledge of what women do to keep clean on camping trips. I never want to know what women do to keep clean on camping trips.

I thought this was more a general question than a specific question.

Personally I have no plans ever to have sex while on a camping trip or, for that matter, go on a camping trip.

I have never discussed bidets with my Dad so I don't know about that part.
    Camping trips are for those who can't afford a nice resort. But us campers have plenty of fun. We devise ingenious methods for cleaning everything, from dishes on down.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 22, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Cleaning skillet: small rocks and water from the stream
    Cleaning on down: jump in fastest part of the stream, the original bidet
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Sorry, but I don't think the only people who camp are people who can't afford resorts. You either camp or you don't. I don't.

And if I had to choose between sex with my partner and camping I'd choose camping. Of course, I would choose anything/everything over camping and so...
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2013, 02:25 PM
    Joy, I'm in stitches. 10 out of 10.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
    OMG. Can we just agree that if American men aren't "gettin any", it has nothing to do with a dearth of bidets? Believe me, if that would make a difference, American men would make gazillions perfecting, selling and installing bidets and if nobody would buy, they would start a charity. Seriously, American men will do what they need to do to get what they want! Whether they camp or not. Near a fast running stream, or not.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
    This entire thread is asinine. The original poster has a cleanliness streak that would make several OCD people impressed. Nothing wrong with that. Goodness knows my father was on that road.

It is all about how well you want to clean yourself.

I belong to a medieval recreation group. We have a almost week long event on the August long weekend. There are showers there, but most people don't bother. Smell more Medieval if you would. I can only fathom how the women keep themselves clean. I Shower in the evening. Judging from the sounds that I have heard coming from some of the tents... being unclean is not an issue for them.

This is your issue. Not the world at large.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Americans Like/upenn [ 1 Answers ]

International Student & Scholar Handbook, upenn

Americans are children [ 14 Answers ]

Not just racists, or infant racists, just children in need of some Anointed parenting. Mind you, this guy didn't even know that oil falls under his domain, heading an agency that fails its own energy saving guidelines. Yet he and Papa Obama (I'm sure that was racist somehow) must take us by...

SO, you think Americans want [ 13 Answers ]

What happened…Senators McCain and Clinton are Old Guard candidates. They are Washington incarnate. And they are winning.:D

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

View more questions Search