Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Cleaning skillet: small rocks and water from the stream
    Cleaning on down: jump in fastest part of the stream, the original bidet
    Tee Hee! Glacial water rocks!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by greentree30 View Post
    Good question! I have wondered that myself since it is such the norm in other areas. I live in America and I've never seen one. But I have always been curious about them. I've always wondered does it go "up" you when you wash, or does it only rinse off the "outside"?
    Doesn't go up too much. There's a little shower thing that you can opt to turn on in the middle. It rinses off the outside pretty well.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Some men are into "moist" and "icky" is apparenty in the eye (or nose) or the beholder. While you're asking direct questions, why don't uncircumsized men pull back the foreskin when they wash?

And, yes, women use lubricants, become lubricated. Then add semen. "Reeks?" "Icky?"

Are you confusing a bidet with douching?

(Note to J9 - I know it's not recommended. I'm just asking.)
    No, a bidet is not for douching. It is for a quick wash of the private parts, and you can leave your shirt and bra on.

Not saying that anything about the female body is bad. Just that bacteria build up more quickly on a woman whether she has sex or not. A stream from the shower hitting your head and shoulders does not do a fast and efficient job on a woman's privates.

I just wanted to hear some people's thoughts, not get into a debate of right, wrong, appropriate or not.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    This entire thread is asinine. The original poster has a cleanliness streak that would make several OCD people impressed. Nothing wrong with that. Goodness knows my father was on that road.

It is all about how well you want to clean yourself.

I belong to a medieval recreation group. We have a almost week long event on the august long weekend. There are showers there, but most people don't bother. Smell more Medieval if you would. I can only fathom how the women keep themselves clean. I Shower in the evening. Judging from the sounds that I have heard coming from some of the tents.... being unclean is not an issue for them.

This is your issue. Not the world at large.

Please don't slap labels on me. If it is only my issue then why aren't American women even aware of how wonderful a bidet can be. And why are they so unaffordable compared with a toilet.

Why don't women wear corsets anymore? Why don't we need to spice our meat to cover the taste of decay?

Corsets are both uncomfortable and unhealthy.
    We invented refrigerators.
    We invented better ways to wash. Perhaps the person who invented the bidet had OCD. Maybe all the folks who own one are full of assinine opinions and ideas.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 05:06 PM
    The vagina is a self cleaning oven, which is why douching is so bad, it takes away the natural bacteria that keeps everything working well. In other words, rinsing your lady parts a few times a day, isn't necessary, nor is it a good thing to do. That's a big minus for the bidet.

I can't speak for Americans, since I'm not one, but I can speak for the people in Canada, which don't have bidets. We shower every day, so a bidet isn't necessary.

So really, I don't think this is an American issue, or even a Canadian issue. It seems that it's only an issue in certain parts of Europe, and I can speak a bit about that as well since I am German. In Germany bidets are not the norm. In fact, I've never once seen a bidet in any house or hotel that I've stayed in in Germany, and I've stayed in many. But then, my German family and friends also bathes daily.

So it seems that this is only an issue for those that don't practice basic hygiene.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
    So, if a bidet was handy, quick washes before returning to work would be easy and doable.
    Sounds like an interesting work place environment.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Sounds like an interesting work place environment.
    No kidding. The idea of having sex with anyone I work with makes me nauseous. I would need far more than a bidet after such a traumatic encounter - maybe like one of those chemical scrub showers like they had in that movie, Silkwood.
    greentree30 Posts: 143, Reputation: 28

Jan 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
    This whole thread had me laughing. :-D

Alty, you made a very good point. Not all bacteria is bad bacteria. Overly cleaning isn't always a good thing. I have ocd tendencies. And since you mentioned good bacteria I am having a strong urge to go eat some plain yogurt right now. Lol I totally wanted to eat something else but now I HAVE to eat yogurt.

p.s. Can anyone tell me where the different smilies are?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 22, 2013, 11:46 PM
    I am curious about one thing about bidets: don't women straddle them, rather than sit?
    I have worn pants 99.9% of my adult life, not dresses, and so wouldn't I have a tough time straddling a bidet?
    Pets Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 11:48 PM
    This whole thread had me laughing. :-D

Alty, you made a very good point. Not all bacteria is bad bacteria. Overly cleaning isn't always a good thing. I have ocd tendencies. And since you mentioned good bacteria I am having a strong urge to go eat some plain yogurt right now. lol I totally wanted to eat something else but now i HAVE to eat yogurt.

p.s. Can anyone tell me where the different smilies are?
    Darnit, now I want yogurt. It's too cold to go to the store and get some. Not happening.

We used to have a list of smilies to choose from, but we got a new skin (look of the site) and they disappeared. I know that a happy face is : ) :) without a space, frowny is : ( :( without a space, winky is ; ) ;) without a space, but the rest, who knows? I'm not even sure we can do more than those three. :(
    greentree30 Posts: 143, Reputation: 28

Jan 23, 2013, 01:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I am curious about one thing about bidets: don't women straddle them, rather than sit?
    I have worn pants 99.9% of my adult life, not dresses, and so wouldn't I have a tough time straddling a bidet?
    Aren't bidets also used as toilets? It's a one stop shop, I think. So your pants would have already been down. Lol
    EDIT: Oh wait I just thought about it more, your pants would just be down by your ankles, so yea pretty hard to straddle! I guess you have to get those pants all the way off and straddle that bad boy!

Darnit, now I want yogurt. It's too cold to go to the store and get some. Not happening.

We used to have a list of smilies to choose from, but we got a new skin (look of the site) and they disappeared. I know that a happy face is : ) without a space, frowny is : ( without a space, winky is ; ) without a space, but the rest, who knows? I'm not even sure we can do more than those three.
    Hmm, you are making yogurt more than it's cracked up to be! I'm usually not really in the mood for it but I make myself eat it with berries a few times a week to try to be healthy.

Aww now there's a limited amount of smilies and it takes more work! :( My favorite was the rolled eyes smiley. Thanks for letting me know!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 04:12 PM
    Maybe it was the sell of a bidet that was lacking in America. You see by making cleanliness an issue people get wacked out on you. Maybe there is a "green" market for them here. After all it takes wood to make paper ;)

P.S. side note:

Scratch judy off the sex and camping list :(
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
    EDIT: Oh wait I just thought about it more, your pants would just be down by your ankles, so yea pretty hard to straddle! I guess you have to get those pants all the way off and straddle that bad boy!
    So what do men do?

I too thought a bidet was a one-stop facility, with elimination and then water cleansing.
    Pets Expert

Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 PM
    I thought a bidet was to clean your dirty bum! So I'm really out of the loop here.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 24, 2013, 05:35 PM
    I did a little research, and it turns out there are all sorts of kinds of bidets, but they pretty much will clean any area from front to back, and you can face them (straddling) or hover your butt over them, facing the room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Americans Like/upenn [ 1 Answers ]

International Student & Scholar Handbook, upenn

Americans are children [ 14 Answers ]

Not just racists, or infant racists, just children in need of some Anointed parenting. Mind you, this guy didn't even know that oil falls under his domain, heading an agency that fails its own energy saving guidelines. Yet he and Papa Obama (I'm sure that was racist somehow) must take us by...

SO, you think Americans want [ 13 Answers ]

What happened…Senators McCain and Clinton are Old Guard candidates. They are Washington incarnate. And they are winning.:D

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

View more questions Search