Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cli Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Fill in tax form as resident alien or non resident ?
    I am from China and I held B1 to enter US in Jan.2001 and changed the status B1 to F1 on 12/26/2001. I returned to China and returned to USA in 2005 with a new F1 visa .
    I had no income in 2001 and 2002 and I failed to fill in the tax return in 2001 and 2002 since I didn't know I needed to do so
    I already filled the tax return as Non-resident for three years ( from 2003 through 2005). My wife and son came to USA to stay with me with F2 visa since last April and I am wondering whether I can be qualified as resident alien (joint family) for the tax purpose?

I'll appreciate for your help.

sun
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Sun:

You had NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to file a tax return in 2001 or 2002 if you have no income. You should have filed Form 8843, however. File these forms by themselves. You can get 2001 and 2002 versions of Form 8843 from 1040.com Website.

You are a resident alien for tax purposes for 2006. The exempt status that is granted to F-1 visa holders expired for you on 31 December 2005.

Youe wife can file jointly with you as a non-resident spouse of a resident alien.

Mar 19, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert
    However, I still have questions about it.
    Can IRS allow me to make up the Form-8843s for 2001 and 2002? Is there any penalties?
    The other thing, I never attacted Form-8843 to the 1040NR for 3 years (from 2003 thr 2005) and I got the tax return for three years. Is it also a problem?

If I fill in the tax return as resident alien joint with my family (wife and son), can I be qualified for the education credits or any child credits?

Sun
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Sun:

There are no penalties and, to my knowledge, no real adverse consequences to NOT filing the Form 8843. However, the law says to file these forms annually, so filing late is better than NOT filing at all.

Yes, you DO qualify to claim the Education Credits or deduction for 2006.

Apr 7, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

Here is situation: I can fill Form 1040 as resident alien and my wife and son nonresidents who just came to US to stay with me last year. I have very low income( annual income around $9000 ). If I can file 1040 as a single status or head of household, I think I will be able to get some earned income credit(EIC), However, if I should fill 1040 form as married jointly, I won't be able to get EIC since my wife and son won't be able to get SSNs.

Another thing We are expecting a child born in USA this May. Next year when we file the tax return(the annual income will be around $10000), if I should file as married jointly, I'll not be able to get EIC for the qualifying child either.

Which filling status(single, household or married jointly) can I fill in ? Is it a possible way to get the EIC ?

Thanks again.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 09:20 AM
    You do NOT qualify for EIC because neither your wife nor son were legal residents in 2006.

You MUST file either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. If you file HoH to get the EIC, you are committing tax fraud.

In 2007, you WILL qualify for the EC for your newborn, who will be a U.S. citizen.

Apr 17, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Thanks a lot.
    I knew I didn't qualify for EIC.
    But for the new born child in 2006, how can I qualify for the EIC for my newborn ? If I filed the married jointly, it requires my wife should have a SSN as well in order to get EIC for my newborn. I thought there is no way to get EIC for my newborn child in 2007. Am I right ?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Your newborn will be a U.S. citizen and will get a SSN as a citizen. That fact makes you eligible for the EIC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got a 1042-S form but am a resident alien [ 14 Answers ]

I did some contracting work for a company which mistakenly processed me as a non-resident Aliean and sent me a 1042 S form. I am actually a resident alien. If they can't fix this before the Filing deadline, what should I do ? Should I just attach the 1042-S form to my resident tax return ?

Tax-Resident Alien or non-resident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know if I need to file my tax returns as resident alient or non resident. - I am on H1B visa (married and wife is on H4). Came to US in Aug 2006 - I was in US in 2005 (280 days) and in 2004 (240days). As per the IRS I pass the present test of 183 days in the past 3 years. -...

Resident or Non-resident Alien for tax year 2006? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have been in the US since 20th January 2006 and am on the payroll of my company since July 2006 , for the purpose of filling Tax returns for the year 2006 , am I a resident Alien or a non-resident alien?

Fox Tax: Resident or Non Resident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

I came us on L1 Visa on 22nd July 2006 along with My wife & Son . I am working for Indian compony and we have US subsidiary.. In US, my US company is paying me the salary. My family went t back to india 29th Oct 2006 and I am still here and will be going in early Feb 07. I also visited US on...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search