Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chinjupaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
    Like and would like
    Hi,
    Can you explain me about the difference between the use of 'i like'and 'i would like'?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 18, 2013, 07:45 PM
    "I like" means a feeling you have in the present tense. Example: I like carrots.

"I would like" means something you want in the future tense. Example: I would like to win the lottery.

Of course, English has many variations of every word and phrase, so this is a very simplified answer.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2013, 09:15 PM
    Another explanation:

When you "like" something or someone, it simply means that you find that something or someone pleasing. Such as, "I like your friend. She is a very nice woman"; or, as another example, "I like chocolate chip cookies. They are my favorite snack." It is commonly used as a compliment, such as "I like your dress - it's lovely on you". When you say "I like", it simply means that you enjoy, approve of or admire what you are saying that you like - you are not asking for it to be given to you, just expressing your positive reaction to it.

"Would like" can be used in a few different situations. For example, "My mother would like you". You might say this, for example, if you are dating someone who has never met your mother, but whom you think your mother would approve of and who would please her. You are saying that IF your mother were to meet the individual, your mother would find the individual pleasing. Or, if you are shopping with a friend and see a necklace that you think is your sister's taste, you might comment to your friend, "Oh, my sister Mary would like this necklace".

"Would like" can also be used to request something. For example, a waitress might ask you, "would like like anything else?" and you might reply, "We would like two cups of coffee with sugar". In this example, you are asking her to bring you coffee.

"Would like" can be used, also, to express a dream or wish. Such as, "I would like to go to India and see the Taj Majal. It has always been my dream." Or, "I would like to meet a handsome man, get married and have four children".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search