Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anarel Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2013, 12:47 PM
    Asking for political asylum in US
    Hello, I want to ask from the very beginning to understand my situation, because my question is very sensitive. I`m going to ask for a political asylum in States. I have a really hard situation and can`t come back to my country. Now I`m on my F1 visa. I had to do this, because it was the easiest way to run fast. While being here I was deeply hoping that the situation will resolve, but it didn`t((( So I decided to use this last option, though it hurts. I kind of started my life here in States, met the love and got married. He is a EU(Sweden) citizen. In this case my question is - will it be a problem at the interview? Will the officer ask my why didn`t I ask the asylum in Sweden? As he will go in my case, I need to clarify this moment. I have an explanation, why not Sweden - a) don`t know the language b) hard to find work there c) very close to the borders of my country(not hard to cross)
    I need an advice of an Immigrant attorney. Please, help me!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 18, 2013, 12:50 PM
    We don't have immigration attorneys. I suggest you hire one to receive your answers correctly.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
    I don't know why the "Sweden" question would even be asked.

I do think you need a US Immigration Attorney. Political asylum is not a "given" and can be difficult.

Where is your husband living?

Jan 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
    We both live in States now. He is also at his F1 visa. We met here) and it happened... You don't think about documents when you are in love
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 18, 2013, 01:22 PM
    You forgot to say what country you are from, what your reason is for needing asylum, and whether your visa expired. And tons more.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2013, 01:37 PM
    Hello a:

You seem to think your marriage will have an effect on your request for political asylum. I don't think so, at all. One thing has NOTHING to do with the other.

excon

Jan 18, 2013, 01:37 PM
    I wanted to keep this private, cause I don`t know if it matters.

Jan 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello a:

You seem to think your marriage will have an effect on your request for political asylum. I don't think so, at all. One thing has NOTHING to do with the other.

excon
    Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
    Hello again, a:

I`m from Russia and was persecuted because of my journalistic activity.
    Cool. I see NO reason, then, why it wouldn't be granted. It won't be easy, though.. You'll need a GOOD immigration attorney.

Excon

Jan 18, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, a:

Cool. I see NO reason, then, why it wouldn't be granted. It won't be easy, though.. You'll need a GOOD immigration attorney.

excon
    Thank you excon. I really appreciate your help. It was the last thing I wanted to do. My family is there and this all hurts badly, but now it`s becoming even worse.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
    I'm ex Homeland Security. I think the marriage will matter. Now it's not just one person with no ties applying for asylum. It's someone with a husband whose background will be "examined."

Jan 18, 2013, 04:03 PM
    Thank you Judy. I know how hard and hurtful this process is, that`s why I took this as the last my option.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jan 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
    It is impossible to answer your question regarding asylum in US since there is very little details. The most important fact is what country you are from, and why you need to seek asylum. If you feel uncomfortable to disclose the info, consult experienced immigration attorney. This is not a DIY thing... seeking asylum in US is getting more and more difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've completed AB in Political Science, can regard myself as a political philosopher [ 2 Answers ]

I have completed a four year degree AB in Political Science, with that can regard myself as a political philosopher? I have long been interested with the state, the best form it, its functions and parts, and its relations which led me to take up the course of Political Science and with academic...

Naturalization and Asylum [ 10 Answers ]

I have two question and would appreciate any advice. My asylum case is still pending; however, my wife (whom I married after I filed for asylum) will be eligible to apply for naturalization in a month. Here are the questions: 1) Once she becomes naturalized AND my case is still pending, will...

Asylum fraud [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I go to report an asylum fraud in Miami,Florida? Is there a website or location that I could get in contact with?

A Political Joke from a Non-Political Person, LOL [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... thought this was funny and wanted to share it with all of you... A little boy goes to his dad and asks, "What is politics?" Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I am the head of the family..so call me the President..... Your mother is the administrator of the...

Asylum [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently helped a relative who was been persecuted back in our home country to apply for assylum and it was successful.I am a social activist that try to do my best to help people suffering injustices back home in africa.I am a student here in the United States but I have gotten into...

View more questions Search