Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Ben,whilst I agree with you in that it looks a good program (Admuncher),you have to pay after one month,as it's shareware.As I use Firefox,and Mozilla 1.7.12,there is a "free" adblocker for Firefox.Yes I know Admuncher is supposed to work in any browser,but I hardly use IE.Any thoughts?
    Nez, as I mentioned I also exclusively use FF with Adblock and admuncher still picks up adverts ;)

There is a very easy way around the one month thing, just reinstall ;)
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 13, 2006, 12:20 PM
    More
    Other useful programs I use for different things.
    For Bit torrent downloads I have found ABC downloader as a solid and easy to use program

For Building web pages, I always use Ms Frontpage, its easy to use and as long as your webhost allows Frontpage access, then your set.

Wallpaper Master, a free and a pay version
    Aymail is an excellent mass emailing program
    Your uninstaller is the best uninstalling program, I have found,the only one that uninstalls while in safe mode if you have a problem program.

And just for playing music with a small simple excellent program, Winamp 2.81 was voted on the net as the best Music player around, you can find version 2.81 for free download.

A for your backup program, I like GEnie backup, so easy to use.

That's it for now.:)
    _keith_ Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 04:15 AM
    Wendy,
    I've installed PCcillin 2006 and have two free AVG's 7.1-375a690 & 7.1-375a691. The 690 is 21Meg and the 691 is 15Meg. Which one would be more appropriate to run with PCcillin, which do you advise, or dosen't it matter. AND

Which do you think is the better firewall PCcillin or Zone?

Keith

Jan 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
    ZoneAlarm is better than Pc cillin, I have used and tested both, cillin came with my motherboard, I never really liked it at all.

Right now after years of using a firewall, I reformatted and went without one, and just use a number of Anti Virus and Spyware protections and so far after 3 months, no problems from not using a firewall, but either AVG should work.

I think the best anti virus programs are Ewido, Nod32and Kaspersky.

Also their onlin scans along with Panda and Trend, free scans online should be periodically used.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 03:37 PM
    fredg mentioned it once, but recently switched to avast antivirus, has a nice look to it and has a good record of catching viruses.
    http://www.avast.com/

Feb 3, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Check it out at the virusbulletin website, avast is not all that good, maybe as a 2nd line of defense but not as your no.1
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 5, 2006, 04:08 AM
    I know people will argue with me but its not a good idea to have multiple programs doing the same job running at the same time... there will be people that swear they don't have a problem but from experience 1 works better for me.. IMO... I run Zonealarm security Suite 6 but I turn off the spyware and virus scanners and I use spyware sweeper and avg to take care of them.. they have never ever let a virus or spyware program install yet
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2006, 08:21 PM
    This is not a download program but it has save some friends. Back up your register manualy by going to regedit make sure you are at top of register go to file / export and save file ( I like something like regrestore(datesaved) to restore m but it has save some friends. Back up your register manualy by going to regedit make sure you are at top of register go to use file / import. It has worked when reg restore failed.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Free remote computer access: www.logmein.com
    (they have a paid service, but the freebie works wonderfully)
    tpeters Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2006, 12:25 PM
    I'm also a big fan of a productivity tool called Rainlendar. If you don't have access to a calendar/appointment/diary program like what's in Outlook, Rainlendar is way cool. I love setting it up to show this month, last month, about 25% transparent (on WinXP), opaque on mouseover, and to pop up reminders for events I have to remember. It works great standalone, but there's also a server piece (I'm running that part on a Linux machine) that you can use to make all the Rainlendars on all your machines show shared events.

I have access to Outlook calendar, but I have rainlendar configured to go into the appropriate Outlook profile and pull events there into Rainlendar. Works great.

Rainlendar is localized, unicode aware, and there's Windows and Linux versions.

http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php
    Haxzor50 Posts: 147, Reputation: 1
    -

Jul 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Comment on thebriggsdude's post
    While Clamwin is free and stuff, it is updated more regularly, which means it can get to viruses faster, BUT how well does it keep them off?
    SabbzR Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Norton and McCaffee are really bad.

NOD32 is by far the best, although not being rated high - the south african government use it and they haven't had a virus intrusion in the last two years or so - or so my bud who works for them tells me :P
    chek101 Posts: 134, Reputation: 18

Sep 24, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SabbzR
    Norton and McCaffee are really bad.

NOD32 is by far the best, although not being rated high - the south african government use it and they haven't had a virus intrusion in the last two years or so - or so my bud who works for them tells me :P

I agree!
    MrsFoxxy2u Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Make sure you have no cookies in your puter and always run defrag
    davejacobs Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
    I frequently visit a number of sites that feature only software that is free. My favorite is Free Internet Security Software. This site has done a great job of finding the best free internet security software of all types. The free products from Comodo are especially amazing. We have totally replaced expired trials and expired commercial software such as Norton Antivirus with the free programs this site has collected. The web master has also answered a number of questions for me about product selection. This is the must visit site for free internet security software that can totally protect your computer!
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Bitdefender anti virus is FREE and I've used it since 2002, and it has never let me down.
    zoom_gfx8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 10:08 PM
    Wendy225 thanks for the information it helps me a lot to find which is the best antivirus well, as you suggest I try one of them
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Can't think of anything new, cause most of it has been named already. But I'm going to throw a vote in for Avast. I used to use McAfee but they have become too big for their britches, and at this point I can't even install it cause it's having a fit over some security setting and I have never figured out what it wants. (I've done this offline, and turned everything on my computer down/off.) And Norton just stinks. I liked their old stuff but not anything w/in about the last 10 years. It many times locks up the computer, and it's obtrusive as heck. It doesn't play nice with other things.

The Avast has worked for me, is unobtrusive, and I've never had to turn it off for anything. I too have gone without an "official" firewall and just keep the Netshield and Web Shield on in Avast. Haven't had a problem.

And rather than disagreeing with Tommy, I'm going to agree with him that I don't like having more than one program to do the same job, IF it runs in residency. i.e. I won't use more than one firewall, AV, etc. However, I have two spyware ones (Ad-Aware and Spybot, the second of which I believe is much better) and they don't mind each other, I assume because they're not running unless I tell them to.
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Mar 6, 2008, 03:30 AM
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Jun 18, 2008, 08:58 AM
    ThreatFire's ActiveDefense technology does, and has proven to provide up to 243% more protection when combined with traditional AntiVirus products

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown Programs [ 6 Answers ]

I have a program on my computer called ScheduledAgent and I am not sure what it is. I have looked on the internet via Google and there is mixed results. I am slightly concerned as several results suggest it must be removed immediately. Am I right to be concerned? Also is there any other way of...

Hiding programs [ 8 Answers ]

How do I hide a program from the Add/Remove List in XP? Not sure which yet I want to hide, but like say MSN or IE or something similar. How would I reenable them to the list if it is even possible to remove them to start with? Thanks.

AOL 9.0 SE Removes programs [ 3 Answers ]

AOL 9.0 is removing gotomypc from machines with both installed. I can't find where in AOL to configure it to allow gotomypc. Any ideas? AOL chat is useless, and I don't want to jump through hoops calling AOL. It's easier to remove AOL and have the users check their mail through aol.com. Thanks.

Hidden programs in xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Can any one tell me all the hidden programs in xp and how ro use these programs plzzzzz

+/- from all programs menu [ 2 Answers ]

How can I add new items to the "all programs" list in XP?:o I'd like to create a entry or two there and move some of the existing items into that folder. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help... and oh yeah, Merry Christmas!:D

View more questions Search