Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laxmasta900 Posts: 103, Reputation: 10

Mar 16, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Dad addicted to pipe (tobacco) smoking
    I really hate it when my dad smokes his pipe, he smokes it every minute of every hour!! I want to know of some way to get him to stop smoking!! :mad: can anyone tell me how to get him off it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 05:55 PM
    No, there is no way to "make" another person to quit smoking. He will have to want to quit on his own.

Mar 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
    OK, thanks for the tip

But I was thinking of just hiding his tobacco and all his pipes, and then he might get tired of looking for them and quit?
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 16, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Honey it is not that easy, I have tried quitting and will keep trying too stop smoking cigareets.. ask him if he would smoke outdoors and show him pics of what second-hand smoke does to non-smokers

Mar 17, 2007, 03:30 AM
    OK, thanks for the advice
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 17, 2007, 04:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laxmasta900
    but i was thinking of just hiding his tobacco and all his pipes, and then he might get tired of looking for them and quit?
    Bad idea, talk to him instead.

Mar 17, 2007, 04:15 AM
    You, if he finds out I hid his pipes from him, even though he's my dad, well step-dad, he will punish me the worst he can think of.
    He laughs at me every ytime I get hurt, I talked to my mom about it but she just says get over it, so il regret hhiding his pipes (I didn't hide them just a suggestion)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2007, 06:01 AM
    The only positive thing on pipes, if he is like the way I was, about 3/4 of the time it is not even lite. I remember spending most of my pipe smoking lighting the thing
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 17, 2007, 06:06 AM
    My dad smoked a pipe too. He eventually switched to cigarettes when he found out that pipe smoking is even more harmful for several reasons -- no filtering the smoke, lots of time in the mouth (increases all forms of mouth cancer) and the more frequent rate he was induging in the habit. He eventually quit cigarettes too but anyone who has quit any form of tobacco (me included) can tell you it's a fight of your life to do so.

Talk lovingly with your dad. Maybe do a little research ahead of your talk to come armed with information. Not just how bad it is but where he can find help too. Sometimes a well planned gentle "intervention" works. Like so many here have said-- when he is ready, he'll quit. Good luck!

Mar 17, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Man, if I tell him that, he might freak out, il give it a go.

I just did a little research on the web and found this, visit this link:

Smoking Illnesses
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 17, 2007, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laxmasta900
    man, if i tell him that, he might freak out, il give it a go
    Good. Just be sure to get some facts first -- it will be a better discussion. Also be mindful that it depends on whether he inhales the smoke -- some pipe smokers do not (my dad did).

Mar 17, 2007, 06:57 AM
    He does inhale the smoke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would tobacco be made legal? [ 7 Answers ]

If tobacco were currently illegal, given what we now know about the health risk, would there be any cause to make it legal? Any thoughts?

Am I addicted? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm 20 years old and currently at university... but my friends keep telling me that I drink too much.. even for a student? I go out 6 days of the week for the past month or so and I do admit I drink till I'm past drunk and spend all my money... including my rent money on alcohol. I...

Quitting tobacco [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, one of my friend was addicted of chewing tobacco from last 10 years, one day he got pain so he leave his habit after leaving tobacco he got ulcer in whole mouth tongue and throat, doctor told him it's a withdrawl effect but that after taking medicine all ulcers decreasing day by day. But at...

Smoking tobacco [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently quit smoking cigarettes & as all you smokers will know, its very difficult. So in order to try make it a little easier, I have been smoking tobacco out of a hubbly at home. Its not as satisfying, but it helps. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some good flavours? I have tried a...

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search