Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dee8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2013, 01:39 AM
    What if the shut off valve doesn't work on old model fill valve?
    I have a toilet leak somewhere that is causing me to lose 2gallons of water every 2min. according to water co. Water is not on my floor thank God!. And I pray it won't be, but there is obviously a leak as there the hose or pipe coming from the floor to the toilet is greenish color, and when I turned the valve in off position, I could see it begin to drip around the knob area. Toilet is constantly humming-1 or twice it has flushed on its own. I have an old fill valve with the 'floating bulb' that sits on top of the water in the tank. The piece it is connected to, that looks like a twist cap w/screws, has water coming from it like 2 or 3 little fountain streams still, even though the valve has been turned to off position. And the toilet is still making noise. Can someone please help? There is no telling how this has effected my bill. :( And I don't have $ to pay a plumber, so if I could turn it off myself until I can have the prob corrected, that would be great! Oh also, the handle to flush the toilet broke a few weeks ago, and the piece it controlled inside the tank broke off, so I've had to leave lid off, and manually pull 'stick piece' up to pull plug for flushing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2013, 07:03 AM
    You have several issues here. First you must snug up the packing nut on the shut off valve until the leak stops. Next [pen up the lid and note the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the white over flow tube when the tank's filled. Tonight put some food coloring in the tank. Next morning check the bowel. Is there color in the waster? Let me know, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2013, 02:53 PM
    You can replace the tank flush lever they are cheap see the image below, Thanks.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
    As Tom said, it sounds like you have several issues.
    Sounds like the stop valve is leaking around the stem and that it does not turn the water off completely when closed. Also sounds like you have a ball cock type fill valve that is leaking.
    Sounds like you have a flush valve that is something other than the common rubber flapper type. And your flush handle is broken.
    Not to be unkind but it also sounds like you are not very plumbing oriented.

Suggest you take and post some pictures of the valve and the inside of the toilet so we can see what you are faced with.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
    If you can follow this Fluidmaster 400a Fill Valve Replacement - YouTube and have about $14 you can get your water bill down

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Shut off valve doesn't work after it's been turned back on [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced my kitchen faucet with a new one and when everything was finished and I turned the supply valve back on to experience my new kitchen sink and my handy work, only the cold water works. Nothing at all comes out when I turn it to hot. I have figured out through troubleshooting that...

Shut off valve under toilet doesn't work [ 3 Answers ]

I needed to replace the wax seal on my toilit. I tried shutting off the water using the valve behind the toilet but no matter how hard I tried turning the valve the water still trickled out. So, I tried shutting it off at the main, But water still trickled out. Finally just stuck a bowl...

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Main Shut-Off Valve doesn't work! [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently trying to replace the washer shut-off valve and went to close the nearby hot and cold water shut-off valves in the basement so that I could sweat the pipes. Every valve I tried turning off, water kept trickling through. I figured those would have to be repaired/replaced as well, so...

View more questions Search