Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yipmak Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 05:01 PM
    4th grade math word problem
    A guava weighs 385 grams. It is 10 times as light as a watermelon. What is the weight of the watermelon?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 06:56 PM
    We can help, but you need to try to do the problem. Do you know how to set up the problem?

Jan 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
    Yes. The guava is 385 grams but is it lighter or heavier than the watermelon?
    If it is lighter, than the watermelon is 10 x 385. If it is heavier, than the watermelon weighs 385/10. I don't understand the wording of the question. Thank you for your help.
    Education Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yipmak View Post
    Yes. the guava is 385 grams but is it lighter or heavier than the watermelon?
    If it is lighter, than the watermelon is 10 x 385. If it is heavier, than the watermelon weighs 385/10. I don't understand the wording of the question. Thank you for your help.
    It isn't worded well, but I would do the multiplication since guavas are smaller than watermelons and that's how I read the question.

Jan 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
    I guess that makes the most sense. Thank you very much for replying!
    Education Expert

Jan 16, 2013, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yipmak View Post
    I guess that makes the most sense. Thank you very much for replying!
    Any time! I taught 4th grade for 15 years. Hope you come back when you need help again.
    jbhl Posts: 55, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2013, 08:10 PM
    Instead of saying "ten times as light" just say "ten times the weight". If it were a division problem, hopefully the wording would be "a tenth as light"
    crazylife13 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2013, 08:41 AM
    Your answer is 38.5 pounds.
    Education Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylife13 View Post
    Your answer is 38.5 pounds.
    This was from long ago and it wasn't in pounds. Check dates and read carefully. We help here. We don't give answers. By the way, how often do you find 38.5 pound watermelons?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5th grade word problem [ 1 Answers ]

The owner of a bagel store collected the following data about the number of bagels sold: Plain- 9 Cheese-6 Cinnamon-5 Predict how many cheese bagels will be sold if 300 customers are served? I reasoned the answer out to be 90, since it doesn't tell you the length of time or number of...

6th grade math: word problem [ 5 Answers ]

There are 4 times as many people as chairs at the town meeting. 24 people had to stand. How many chairs were there? 72, 96, 6 and 24 are not the correct answer. Please explain or show work for solution.

Math problem 3rd grade [ 1 Answers ]

Polo writes a 3 digit number. It has more than 5 ones. It has fewer than 3 tens. What number does Polo write?

Math word problems (5th-6th grade level) [ 12 Answers ]

Joe spent 1/3 of his allowance on a model airplane. He spent 2/3 of the remainder on a fishing rod. He had $20 left over. How much did he start with? >> I'm starting my son off with a picture that is a rectangle divided into 3 parts (thirds), the first part representing the model airplane,...

4th grade math [ 8 Answers ]

Thanks for some help. I need it! There are 16 pens. There are 3 tmes as many red as blue pens. There are 4 more green pens than red. How many of each color are there? I can't figure it out.

View more questions Search