Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boa49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
    How can I report abandonment of a spouse and child report in long island, ny
    My ex- boyfriend abanded myself and 2 children. I do not know
    Where he lives and he does not give me any support. He left me
    For another women. My 2 children are both his children. He at first
    Said he would help me but it is been a year that I do not receive
    Anything from him.
    Where can I report him and is it too late to make the report?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
    Its been a year, and you want to charge him with abandonment and you are not married? What have you been doing in a year to support you and your children? Just wondering because it has been a year and seeing as you are not married to him, then he knows you do not have a claim. I don't know what the common law arrangements are in NYS but it sounds odd you wait so long.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2013, 03:28 PM
    Well, you don't really "report" it to anyone per se. And he was not your spouse - a spouse is a husband or wife, not a boyfriend.

You should find a family law attorney in your area and schedule an initial consultation. Most do not charge for the first appointment but confirm that before you go. They will tell you what's involved in establishing legal paternity of your children, and getting a parenting agreement in place.

It's best if such an agreement can be entered into voluntarily and cooperatively but often it's necessary to petition the court to order it.

A parenting agreement will stipulate the parental rights of each parent, such as awarding you sole or primary custody of the children hopefully. It will also map out the terms for the non-custodial parent for parenting times - whatever weekends, or holidays or whatever they can have the kids. It will detail who pays what in child support, who makes medical and educational decisions and so on.

You may have to establish legally that he is the father. It will help if he is on the birth certificates, lived with you at the times of conception and/or birth of the children, and/or paternity was established with a dna test already.

Good luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 05:28 PM
    You don't

You do hire an attorney, file for child support, though the courts, in most places he does not owe you anything, and will owe the kids money only after you file for support in court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2013, 04:19 AM
    First, on LI, this is not abandonment, abandonment is leaving children without adult supervision.

Second, this is a civil matter so you don't report it, you file for child support. However, if you apply for public assistance, they should help you try to get support from him. But if you can't find him, that's not going to be easy.

You don't say which county, so I've provided links for the agencies in both counties:

Nassau County, Long Island New York

Suffolk County Government > Departments > Social Services > Family and Children Services

Make an appointment today with the appropriate agency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a debt collector report on a credit report that the wrong date was open [ 2 Answers ]

Your post is somewhat confusing, but this is my best guess: You opened a credit card in 2005 and defaulted on the payments. The credit card company sold the debt to a collection agency, probably in 2008, so the agency is listing their open date as 2008. You want to know if this is legal......

REport abandonment of spouse in California [ 2 Answers ]

What to do if spouse owns business have no other debts but his room and food gas for his vehicle, he does not give me any money, he left me to live in a homeless shelter while he was in a house.

Failure to report auto and false report form to probation officer [ 3 Answers ]

I know now what my probation officer is charging me with failure to report a truck that was purchased for me and saying a false report forms and failure to report What can happen to me

How to report nonresident Spouse's foreign income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. I am a US resident and I got married in 2008. My wife (Chinese) was not living with me in 2008 and she got salary from an American company in China, and of couse, paid tax in China. Now we decide to file as married jointly, and I want to know that can my wife use 2555 to exclude her foreign...

Who to report abandonment to [ 2 Answers ]

Someone I know has a teen child under 16. They say they are going to kick the teen out of their house. If this person puts their kid out on the street can I call law enforemecnt and report it? What will happen to this parent and to the child? They are not family so I have no legal recourse to...

View more questions Search