Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hannah254 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 10:18 AM
    Could you help me on my literature review about key workers?
    I am currently doing a foundation degree in early years. I have to do a literature review, and my topic is the importance of key workers in a child's life. I don't know how to start it and what to include. Also need help on how to layout the literature review.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Were you given a style guide for how the paper is to be set up? If not, ask your instructor for one. We had to use a guide approved by the education department.

As for a lit review, go to the reference desk at your university or public library and ask for this, They will direct you regarding keywords to use. There is a huge database called FirstSearch which includes ERIC, the education database you need to search on. I'll do a sample search for you, if you wish, but need a good keyword to begin with. Should I use "key workers"?

***ADDED*** I just did a search. You will need to ask for or do a Boolean search with a mix of terms in order to define the search better and also reduce the number of hits you get. "Key workers" is much too broad and gives a huge number of hits.

Jan 14, 2013, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Were you given a style guide for how the paper is to be set up? If not, ask your instructor for one. We had to use a guide approved by the education department.

As for a lit review, go to the reference desk at your university or public library and ask for this,. They will direct you regarding keywords to use. There is a huge database called FirstSearch which includes ERIC, the education database you need to search on. I'll do a sample search for you, if you wish, but need a good keyword to begin with. Should I use "key workers"?
    No I wasn't given a style guide. Am just stuck on how to start it off? Yes that would be great thanks
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
    ***ADDED*** I just did a search. You will need to ask for or do a Boolean search with a mix of terms in order to define the search better and also reduce the number of hits you get. "Key workers" is much too broad and gives a huge number of hits.

Keywords --

Early childhood education
    Key workers
    [country]
    [limit by copyright date?]
    Preschool?
    Kindergarten?

Of course, you will be doing more than one search with a mix of terms in each search. These journals are not available by Googling on the Internet. You need to go to the library.

Jan 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
    Oh okay will do.. But how do you start a literature review? What shall I include in the introduction?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
    I'm a bit shocked that you are so clueless about this --

Literature Reviews - The Writing Center

"APA Documentation" UW-Madison Writing Center Writer's Handbook

Jan 14, 2013, 10:55 AM
    Thank you... I just get confused thinking what to include. I have never done a literature review before. Do I research on that topic, quote it where I found it and then expland on it in detail
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah254 View Post
    thank you... i just get confused thinking what to include. i have never done a literature review before. Do i research on that topic, quote it where i found it and then expland on it in detail
    Read over one or both of the links I gave you -- full explanation of how to do a lit review.

Yes, you research with a variety of keywords, choose the articles that most fit your topic (which you have set in your mind), use quotes as necessary (and document them in your review), and explain well and in detail. Your best bet is to make a good outline first (after doing the searches), before you write out the review itself. The outline will then write the review for you like magic!

Jan 14, 2013, 11:09 AM
    Read over one or both of the links I gave you -- full explanation of how to do a lit review.

Yes, you research with a variety of keywords, choose the articles that most fit your topic (which you have set in your mind), use quotes as necessary (and document them in your review), and explain well and in detail. Your best bet is to make a good outline first (after doing the searches), before you write out the review itself. The outline will then write the review for you like magic!
    Thank you for your help.. I just hope I get it done and is right
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah254 View Post
    thank you for your help.. i just hope i get it done and is right
    I drove my instructor crazy years ago, but it was worth it. I was then able to help students when I became a librarian. Talk to your instructor and to the reference librarian(s). There are even books written about how to do this, although the two sites I gave you are good. (There was no Internet when I did my lit review back in the dinosaur age.) And do not think you can do it all on the Internet! You need ERIC (Education Resources Information Center)!

Jan 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
    Awwww haha, I will do thank you for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it a key or ignition problem when I can't turn my key to start 1998 Honda Accord? [ 4 Answers ]

I stopped to get gas in my 1998 Honda Accord Sedan. When I got back into my car and tried to start it I couldn't get the key to turn at all. It's as if it was on lockdown. I tried to turn the wheels since sometimes I've had to turn the wheels for it to release the lock and start. That didn't...

Is it hard to change ecu and key code box in my 96 1.4 civic? Lost my key [ 3 Answers ]

Is it hard to change ecu and key code box in my 1.4 1996 honda civic , and it has an immobilizer what's really the best way to start my car immedietly

Thesis on symbolism? I want some help on how to write a literature review? [ 1 Answers ]

I want some help on how to write a literature review -- how to start and end. I just have 3 days and have to write a mini-thesis of 30 pages. Symbolism in Wuthering Heights is my title.

Literature review help! [ 2 Answers ]

After searching I have ended up with approximately 40 journals related to my topic I don't know how to proceed to write the review how would you proceed step by step?

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read [ 0 Answers ]

How we review boiler pressure parts detail drawing review/read

View more questions Search