Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Imcpeek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Craftsman 20.0 electric start 42 inch automatic lawn tractor mower clutch
    We have a Craftsman 20.0 hp electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor Model 917.270940 and it appears the cable that allows you to engage the blades has broken. How do you either fix this problem or do we need to purchase a new cable. If we need a new cable how is it installed... I need step by step instructions in which I can follow I just need to repair and get my mower going again. I cut about 2 acres of grass and it is really in need of a cutting!! Thanks so much for any help you can give.:)
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 16, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Are you sure it has a cable? If you have looked close enough to see that a cable is required you should be able to see how to remove it.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for and normally I would not respond with such poor info but no one else seems to be answering the question. Are you sure the belt to the blades is good? Lever is usually connected via linkage and not cable.

Don
    Imcpeek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Yes sir we know it has a cable... we can see the cable that comes up to the handle that you would use to engage the mower... the belts are all new... the handle that is used to engage the mower is not broken but something happened and now the handle is "limp" somehting broke or has been disconnected so the mower will not engage... :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower 23 Kohler hp 24 inch deck [ 11 Answers ]

I recently went out to mow my lawn with this otherwise reliable machine. I pulled the PTO clutch switch to engage the blades. They started to rotate and I was on my way, for about 30 seconds and then the blades stopped rotating. The motor runs perfectly yet the drive unit for the blade belt does...

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced the mower clutch cable on my 16.5 HP Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. After doing so, the transmission to the tractor will not engage. All the belts seem to be in place. I did not replace the clutch carriage bolt yet, as indicated by the instructions, after...

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor - Front Axle [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a twisted front axle. Since I will need to replace this soon, I'd figure to replace the welded axle with a cast iron replacement. I called the SEARS 1-800 number to get a similar models which would be a universal cast iron axle I could order & replace. ...

Craftsman 20.5hp electric clutch overdrawing? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Craftsman 20.5hp 50" deck tractor just got a battery a couple months ago and it seems to have trouble keeping it charged. I noticed that the Amp meter shows charging when the deck is disengaged but when the clutch is engaged it is discharging handily. Is an overdrawing clutch a known or...

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Craftsman lawn tractor that will not move. The clutch works and it goes into gearbut the flat wheel spins and the gear wheel seems too have not enough pressure on it to move. Could this be just a loose drive belt? Thanks, Charlie

View more questions Search