Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 09:45 PM
    What did they do to this egg
    For those that don't know I am in China, so it may be a Chinese recipe but I really don't know.

Toni ( my wife ) went to the store to buy eggs, which is a real adventure here to start with, since they are always fresh, often in stacks and you pick your eggs, put them in a sack and they sell them to you by weight.
    ** no carton just in a plastic bag.

Well I normally buy them at a little fruit and veggie stand, where they are fresh, often with a feather or two still in the box with them.

But Toni got hers at the store today, but was surprised when we tried to crack them.

The outside looks fairly normal, a little spotted, but then eggs here are various types, sizes and colors at times, depending on type of bird ( not always chicken)

But to our surprise, and not a good one, they were jellied or something, they were black looking, and had a jellied appearance on the outside,

They tasted, ( yes I tasted them) and they tasted sort of like a regular boiled egg, just black.

They were not pickled, from the taste.

Anyone got any ideas what they were ?
    Attached Images

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 09:50 PM
    Maybe this?

Century egg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 09:57 PM
    How about a link that is not from Wikipedia,

Wikipedia is banned here , like Facebook, and YouTube, so we can't access it.

They also randomly seem to block other sites from time to time.
    I often can't access Google but then next day I can.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 10:01 PM
    Century egg or pidan (Chinese: pinyin: pídàn), also known as preserved egg, hundred-year egg, thousand-year egg, thousand-year-old egg, and millennium egg, is a Chinese cuisine ingredient made by preserving duck, chicken or quail eggs in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, quicklime, and rice hulls for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing.

Through the process, the yolk becomes a dark green to grey colour, with a creamy consistency and an odor of sulphur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, translucent jelly with little flavor. The transforming agent in the century egg is its alkaline material, which gradually raises the pH of the egg to around 9, 12, or more during the curing process. This chemical process breaks down some of the complex, flavorless proteins.

The origin of the method for creating century eggs likely came about through the need to preserve eggs in times of plenty by coating them in alkaline clay, which is similar to methods of egg preservation in some Western cultures. The clay hardens around the egg and resulted in the curing and creation of century eggs instead of spoiled eggs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 10:05 PM
    Pidan (Chinese) or alkalized egg is a traditional Chinese delicacy made from either duck or chicken eggs. These are often called thousand-year or century-old eggs, even though the preserving process lasts only about 30 days. Eggs are soaked in a saline solution (for 15 days in summer or 20 days in winter). No boiling is needed. To check eggs for cracks, test according to the sound of eggs knocked gently against each other. Good eggs give off a higher pitch. Ammonia (NH3) is sometimes emitted, which has a pungent smell.

Then follows a recipe so you can do this yourself!
    Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
    Ok, that is them,

Well, when you were wanting sunny side up, not really the treat I had in mind.

Although I was going to put the sunny side up on top of a bed of rice noodles, so I ended up with these eggs and noodles this morning for breakfeast

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this an egg or what?! [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew found this rock in a stream in Colorado and thinks it may be an egg fossil. It appears to be 2 very different types of rock, with the inner one being very smooth and rounded. Thanks

When a Recipe Calls for Using One Egg, What Size Egg Do They Mean? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, all! Okay, some recipes call for only one egg to use in the mix. This would usually be for when we might be baking something. What size egg do they mean, please? I'm the kind of person who likes to buy the jumbo ones! Thanks!

The Egg and I [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever seen a copy of 'The Egg and I', either tape or dvd/

I saw a ghost while frying an egg then the egg turned blood red! [ 6 Answers ]

I was cooking at my fiance's Grandparents old farm house. I was standing at the stove frying eggs and noticed something looking at me from the other room. I looked and saw a shadow like creature disappear behind a wall. I looked back at the pan and the eggs were blood red! I screamed and then...

How to let him down, how to egg him on [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so a guy i know is going to ask me out soon-- he's told several of my friends who told me-- but he's more of a brother than a boyfriend. I just don't see him that way. how do i let him know that without ruinging a friendship?? Then, there's a guy I know that i WANT to date. he's really sweet...

View more questions Search