Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerbear5000 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 02:47 PM
    What if toilet drain has a p-trap?
    In a bath remodel we replaced an old toilet with a new one. Now the toilet won't flush properly. Both were installed on the same 3" drain that has a p-trap. Floor is slab on grade.
    The toilet acts like the vent might not be working - water rises on initial flush and then slowly falls and siphons out until it sucks air. Ran water down the roof vents but no help.
    What are my options?
    gaets1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2013, 02:52 PM
    If you have a 3" P-Trap under the toilet you definitely should take it out, the toilet is designed to not need one.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jan 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
    Toilets have intregral traps built in them. Toilet cannot be double trapped and work proberly. If you have trap in floor that toilet sets on I would think that 3" opening was once a floor drain. You must remove 3" trap in slab.

Jan 12, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by puffmugs View Post
    Toilets have intregral traps built in them. Toilet cannot be double trapped and work proberly. If you have trap in floor that toilet sets on I would think that 3" opening was once a floor drain. You must remove 3" trap in slab.
    Any explanation for why the old toilet worked fine?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 04:33 PM
    You said, "Both were installed on the same 3" drain that has a p-trap"

To me this suggests that the PTRAP isn't directly under the toilet but is instead a WHOLE HOUSE TRAP (see image). Most of these were removed years ago, but if your house still has one then that is not an issue in and of itself, OK?

What does sound to be an issue could be that the whole house trap is clogged, or it could even be that the main drain line before or after the whole house trap is clogged. In order to test this I would suggest running water from a washing machine or draining a full tub of water into the main drain and see what happens at the whole house trap (should have one or two cleanouts that can be removed) or at the toilet... ;)

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 14, 2013, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    You said, "Both were installed on the same 3" drain that has a p-trap"

Mark
    Nope. Not a whole house trap.
    fulgur Posts: 13, Reputation: 5

Jan 14, 2013, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear5000 View Post
    Any explanation for why the old toilet worked fine?
    Older and newer toilets have a different design and a different water volume, that could be the reason, another could be that the p trap is now clogged, could be coincidental, sometimes happens though...
    In any case you will save headaches now and in the future eliminating the ptrap, you could always take advantage of the occasion to place a backflow valve in its place
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2013, 03:49 PM
    It sounds like you should use a closet auger amnd snake through the toilet... something might be hung up at the outlet of the toilet itself. If that fails to resolve the issue you may need to lift the toilet and snake the drain.

Also, I agree with Fulgur... remove trap as it can only cause problems down the road (or may even be the issue right now)!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Both were installed on the same 3" drain that has a p-trap
    This is against code which states that you may not double trap any fixture. The exception to this is if you had old toilets installed that didn't have internal traps.
    The trap under the slab has to go. Good luck, Tom

Jan 17, 2013, 10:40 AM
    Thank you all for the helpful answers. It is clear now what must be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet drain trap [ 4 Answers ]

Where is the best place to place a drain trap in a toilet?

Toilet flange as floor drain... trap? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an unused, capped off toilet flange on an existing slab floor; I use this as a floor drain. The only issue is that it lacks any kind of trap to block sewer gas from entering the room... it's simply a direct drop. Is there any kind of a trap I can buy for the existing (I think it's 4")...

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search