Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Mar 16, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Teen weight loss vs building muscle
    Hey all,

Basically what I am trying to get at is to improve myself confidence by changing the image I haveof myself. I am currently 5'10" and weight about 190, though I am dissatisfied with my body the way it is. I would like to do whta it takes to make me more comfortable when I am in public so that I can enjoy myself and lose the shyness that haunts me.

I have recently started a better diet and an intense cardio workout (approx 500-600 calories a day, 7 days a week). My calorie intake is quite limited, as I dont eat much, and nothing with much sugar anymore (cut out soda, juice, snacks). In two weeks, I managed to lose 6 pounds, though I know this will slow.

What I am wondering is if I am doing this the right way. Should I be working more towards gaining mnuscle, or losing the weight? I know it is hard to judge, but I dont know how much I "should" weight, all I know is that I am sick of being unhappy with myself.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Okay are you a guy or a girl? That makes a big difference here

Also, cutting out juice is not necessary. Juice is very healthy.

500-600 calories a day is a little low. You may cause more damage by not eating enough.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
    You really need to eat, if what I understanding is right, your saying you don't eat much? Skipping meals is not the answer, In fact in order to boost your metabolism you need to eat at least 1,000 calories a day, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode, hoarding each calorie. Cutting out soad was great drink lots of water or 100% fruit juices. Calcium seesm to increase the body's core temperature causing it to burn calories faster, so 3-4 servings of low fat dairy can adjust the fat burning mechanism in your body, the more calicum stored in a fat cell the more calories the body will burn. So eat non fat yogurt, 1-2% or skim milk, and fat free, low fat, part skim or skim cheeses. You need to eat protein at least 2 meals worth, of skinless chicken, Turrkey, fish, lean loin type meats, beans, fruits and veggies. Choose whole grain breads, pastas, cereals, or rices.Aerobics, weigh training, resistance trainings, walking, jogging, biking are all great for losing body fat and increasing muscle, work out 4-5 times a weeks, for 30-60 minutes a session. Your idea weight depends of your body frame, and you can fine that on a lot of sites on the web, just look up "idea weight". If you contiue to work out you will lose body fat and your muscles will come through. It takes time and patience, but it will work for you, just don't give up and keep focused on how you want to look!;)
    sypher373 Posts: 360, Reputation: 38

Mar 16, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Sorry, I am a 20 year old guy...

I think I wasn't clear enough. When I stated 500-600 calories, that was the extent of my exercise. According to the machine I was using for my cardio workout, I was burning about 500 to 600 calories a day, 7 days a week. I would guess I am eating about 1000-1250 calories a day. I am eating three meals a day, but no snacks between. I have been drinking nothing but water, to try and leave out the xtra sugar calories from jusices and soda. Generally, I have a small breakfast, a bagel or egg sandwich, a chicken sandwich for lunch, and a grilled chicken and salad for dinner.

Sorry for making you think I was eating only 600 calories a day, that is not the case. I do not want to slow my metabolism. I have also read about aerobic vs anareobic exercise. Currently, I am dooing 60 minutes of caridio 7 days a week. I try to keep my heartrate around 140-150, so as not to burn carbs and sugar, rather burn fat.

I have tried to avoid hamburger and steak in preference for chicken and turkey, keeping it lean. The only other question I have is whether I should resume taking protein powder (which I took previously) or if this can cause me to gain weight. My current workout schedule is as follows:

An hour of cardio everyday, followed by two or three weight training workous, changing each day. One day is biceps and triceps, next day is shoulders and chest, and finally abs and back. Then I repeat.

Any other suggestions? Hope this clarifies it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight Loss [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in this bet to see who can loose the most weight the fastest... and I really need help on finding the fastest way to loose a lot more weigth than the other people! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Drinking and building muscle [ 2 Answers ]

How much of an adverse effect does drinking (beer, typically twice a week) have on building muscle and getting rid of fat? Just curious because I want to get in better shape... thanks

View more questions Search