Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JLGray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
    Was served papers that don't belong to me
    An envelope was just delivered to my residence with my address on the lable. My son opened it. It looks like someone is suing a company but has our address. It clearly doen't belong to us... what do we do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2013, 03:18 PM
    You notify the person who caused the papers to be sent to you that this is NOT you. You request a letter advising you that an appearance (if this is a Summons) is not necessary. If you cannot get such a letter you must appear in Small Claims Court to explain the situation.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2013, 03:18 PM
    Easiest way is to take them to the court,show them your ID . Tell the court the were let at your address but you arenot the person listed on the summons.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2013, 06:20 PM
    And be sure someone has not stolen your ID and using your name or possible address to get credit
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2013, 11:28 AM
    A company is being sued at her address - her ID is meaningless. She is not an individual being sued.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You notify the person who caused the papers to be sent to you that this is NOT you. ...
    Yes, OK. But:

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... You request a letter advising you that an appearance (if this is a Summons) is not necessary. If you cannot get such a letter you must appear in Small Claims Court to explain the situation.
    Must? What do you imagine will happen to OP, who is not the defendant, if he/she doesn't? Answer: nothing.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2013, 11:43 AM
    What do I think will happen to her? Nothing because she either gets a letter from the Plaintiff stating that she is not a party OR she goes to Small Claims Court and says she is not a party - as I stated.

The summons was served, if I am reading this correctly, on a company at her address, not her personally. I don't even know if an individual's name is on the summons. If a default is taken and it's against a company at her address and it's not her company she still doesn't have liability/responsibility.

The easier way is to solve it here and now, of course.

And that's what I think will happen now that you've asked.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Contact the attorney who originally had the summons and complaint issued and speak to them about you not being the correct party involved. You may have to go to their offices to resolve the matter in person. The court can't do anything about this or the Clerk who issued the summons and complaint. Only the attorney who filed the complaint can change this. This could be a typo the attorney's secretary made while making up the paperwork.
    Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 07:08 AM
    The problem I am having with those answers suggesting OP should either go to the court or go to the attorney's office is that these things take time and money.

It's not OP's problem. OP could simply throw the process in the trash without adverse consequence. I would, as a courtesy, call the attorney who is responsible for this error and set him or her straight. Not much more, in my opinion, is warranted.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
    As has been pointed out to me, you are the Attorney and I am not.

I always think it's a very bad idea not to respond to a summons. I don't agree that this is not the OP's problem. If her name/address are on those papers it is her problem - maybe not now but after the Judgment is taken.

Why make things difficult for everyone?

Straighten it out now.
    Expert

Feb 2, 2013, 10:25 AM
    I note that OP never came back. But he/she wrote that it had OP's address on it not her/his name.

If the lawsuit was against OP by name, that would be a different matter.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Neither one of us knows if the process server got the name of the individual who was served (or was this mailed?). I see the name getting dragged into it.

But, as you said, OP didn't come back and you're the Attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Papers served [ 4 Answers ]

I was served papers by someone from the court house. I did not sign anything and the papers don't have a court date.. they r from a collection agency what do I do?

Being served papers [ 5 Answers ]

My girl friend got a call from someone saying they were going to serve her with papers at home and work for lawyer fraud, I have never heard of this can anyone help?

Papers served [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served papers by a collection agency to pay an amount of money I don't have. My options are to pay the debt plus court cost or deny and go to court. What do I do I don't have the money?

Served papers or not? [ 6 Answers ]

If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

View more questions Search