Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaylagirl Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
    Why do people rub their nose at me and stare at me with disgust? Please help.
    I'm 22 years old an I've notice that everywhere I go people rub their noses at me and sniffle. As well as stare at me with disgust . Ugh its driving me nuts I look in the mirror and don't see anything. As my family they say they don't see anything wrong.but they do it to me as well. I see and hear people laughing making jokes staring at me. I've asked some people what!! They say nothing like they're embarrassed to tell me or look at me like ( you don't know ) I don't know what to do any more! I've tried waxing, different acne cream, bleach, Nair, trim nose hairs, I've tried everything. I shower daily, brush my teeth, deodorant, clean clothes. What is it? Used to be a very social person loved seeing the world. Now I'm embarrassed to do anything ;(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 12:20 AM
    I suggest that you consider counseling and seeing a professional.

Most likely this is all in your mind, It is winter people rub their nose and sniffle, it has nothing to do about you. Some people stare at others, means nothing. People laugh and tell jokes with friends, it does not mean they are talking about you.

You believe everything has to do with you and it does not, Please get professional help
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 10, 2013, 12:22 AM
    Fr_Chuck is right. Unless you look like Bigfoot and don't realize it, then this is probably all in your mind.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2013, 01:00 AM
    This very same question is asked periodically under different IDs, but they all sound the same, right down to the details.
    Unless you have a rotten tooth or pockets around your gums that you can't smell, you have a problem that really, really requires counseling.
    current pert

Jan 10, 2013, 02:01 AM
    kaylagirl, are you thatgirl92, who posted almost the same question about 7 weeks ago?

Apr 15, 2013, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    kaylagirl, are you thatgirl92, who posted almost the same question about 7 weeks ago?
    No I'm not thatgirl92... I've tried to right her as well sense we are experiencing the same thing .

Apr 15, 2013, 08:05 PM
    This very same question is asked periodically under different IDs, but they all sound the same, right down to the details.
    Unless you have a rotten tooth or pockets around your gums that you can't smell, you have a problem that really, really requires counseling.
    I do have a dentist appointment.. but you think someone would ttell me if I had bad breath if I asked... maybe its acne, or hair I don't know it just started of no were an Im
    Embarrassed;/ can't figure it out .

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I suggest that you consider counseling and seeing a professional.

Most likely this is all in your mind, It is winter people rub their nose and sniffle, it has nothing to do about you. Some people stare at others, means nothing. People laugh and tell jokes with friends, it does not mean they are talking about you.

You believe everything has to do with you and it does not, Please get professional help
    I didn't say I believe everything is about me . An its obvious when people talk about you while staring and laughing . I have seen a counsler . An it did not help ;/
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 15, 2013, 09:52 PM
    Don't let the quirks of strangers or others shake your confidence, or lead you down a path of paranoia. Screw them, just be the best you that you can be and let them figure you out. Not the other way around.
    current pert

Apr 16, 2013, 02:34 AM
    I'm glad you are checking out all possible physical reasons, but I worry that you are the age when schizophrenia develops, and I hope that isn't true for you. Various fears such as this (that feel very, very real) can be a first sign of paranoia.
    soni dot Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2013, 02:40 AM
    I agree with Talaniman...

Just what I wanted to say...

Apr 16, 2013, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Don't let the quirks of strangers or others shake your confidence, or lead you down a path of paranoia. Screw them, just be the best you that you can be and let them figure you out. Not the other way around.
    Thank you I have been trying.

I'm glad you are checking out all possible physical reasons, but I worry that you are the age when schizophrenia develops, and I hope that isn't true for you. Various fears such as this (that feel very, very real) can be a first sign of paranoia.
    Well I did talk to a counsler about that an asked if I could get diagnosed an he told me that he didn't think I was.schizophrenia.
    Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Interesting that he told you what you are not, but what did he suggest you do?

Apr 16, 2013, 09:26 PM
    Interesting that he told you what you are not, but what did he suggest you do?
    He suggested to talk to my doctor about anxiety medication . But what gives me anxiety is this problem... ;/ so I have been on anxiety meds an still have the same problem . Been trying to figure this out for awhile.. it makes me feel so ugly an humiliated . An when I found this site and seen that others are experiencing as well it was a relief just to know I'm not alone.. its not all in my head.. for something to even get in your head it starts somewhere.. well it started with peoples reaction towards me an how they started looking at my mouth area . I've tried everything! Wax, acne solutions, trim hair.. trying to lose weight cause I did gain a little bit of weight an have tiny lips . Idk. I've tried to explain it an fix it. But how can you fix something if you don't know what it is..

Also what I don't understand is why they rub there nose at me . I know I don't stink. Maybe hair or I don't know I look an see nothing! Buy everyone else does sounds crazy I know. Just want to fix it so I can be happy an confident again not embarrassed!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 16, 2013, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaylagirl View Post
    Also what I don't understand is why they rub there nose at me . I know I don't stink. Maybe hair or idk I look an see nothing!! Buy everyone else does sounds crazy I know. Just wanna fix it so I can be happy an confident again not embarrassed!!
    It has nothing to do with you. They are not staring at you for any reason. Your mind and your anxiety are making you think it is about you, but it is not. There is nothing to fix.
    current pert

Apr 17, 2013, 02:11 AM
    Here's some concrete practical questions. Don't answer if you don't want to.

Do you have large breasts under revealing clothes? (Studies show that reaching for the face or neck are primal reactions to various behaviors and sights. A man adjusts his tie, and woman plays with her necklace, both sexes touch their nose, etc.)

How far away are people when they rub their noses?

Can you REALLY say that it happens 'all the time,' or could it be something like half the time, and you might just be acutely sensitive about it? (I rub my nose a lot because it itches a lot, and I sniffle a lot.)
    Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 06:09 AM
    You are going about this backward since you think it's about how people react to you. Its not, its about how you are reacting to them. You don't have a physical problem, you have a perception problem.

How long have you been on these meds? It takes time for them to work effectively and you have to be honest with your doctor about how they affect you, or don't affect you. Getting the right meds at the right dosage is a process.

Has there been a trauma of some sort that this can be traced back too? A life changing event that started this? When did you notice that people were watching you so close? Do you actually have a physical deformity that can be noticed?

Apr 17, 2013, 11:08 AM
    You are going about this backward since you think it's about how people react to you. Its not, its about how you are reacting to them. You don't have a physical problem, you have a perception problem.

How long have you been on these meds? It takes time for them to work effectively and you have to be honest with your doctor about how they affect you, or don't affect you. Getting the right meds at the right dosage is a process.

Has there been a trauma of some sort that this can be traced back too? A life changing event that started this? When did you notice that people were watching you so close? Do you actually have a physical deformity that can be noticed?
    Know I don't have large breasts, an I have to taking the meds for over 3 months . I'm very honest with my doctor
    It all started 3 years ago I was a cashier an notice people doing it so I would go to the bathroom an check . Seen nothing asked.people nothing!! No trauma . I have been through a lot in my life . People can be up close or across the room from me that's why I think maybe acne, hair.,. or weight gain in my face.. also I know a lot of.peoplerub there nose touch there face, fix there tie
    But they do it so intensely,an also stare an look at my mouth area. I don't think about it all the time when people react that way of course.I think about it. If.someone kept looking at your hair line or crotch every time they talk or look at you . Would be.wondering whatthe hell. Maybe.not the first time but time after time you would be looking as to why they were doing it

An know I'm.not deformed..

Also the only thing that changed that I can think of is weight gain an I started waxing my upper lip.. been on a good diet though losing weight an my upper lip I do get waxed from time to time . As well as met someone .

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It has nothing to do with you. They are not staring at you for any reason. Your mind and your anxiety are making you think it is about you, but it is not. There is nothing to fix.
    Its not my mind or anxiety.. I'm not crazy.. or think random! I see what I see. It didn't bother.me at first but when it happen over an over you get to thinking what the heck.. if every single person did.it to u for a long period.of time you would be curious as to why!
    Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 11:26 AM
    No I have never been that self conscious, but it easy to be fooled by over awareness of others and thinking you have flaws that everyone notices. It not much different than catching someone's eye and wondering if there is an instant connection. Or walking in a room that everyone is laughing and you think its about you.

Most just recognize since they really don't know, they dismiss the notion and that's it, but you don't seem to be able to dismiss it, and have to act on it. Just be patient with the meds, and what the doctor says for a while and see what adjustments he makes in the future, and make a conscious decision NOT to act on the first impulse feelings that makes this about you.

Keeping a daily journal may be helpful to you, and your doctor.

Apr 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
    No I have never been that self conscious, but it easy to be fooled by over awareness of others and thinking you have flaws that everyone notices. It not much different than catching someone's eye and wondering if there is an instant connection. Or walking in a room that everyone is laughing and you think its about you.

Most just recognize since they really don't know, they dismiss the notion and that's it, but you don't seem to be able to dismiss it, and have to act on it. Just be patient with the meds, and what the doctor says for a while and see what adjustments he makes in the future, and make a conscious decision NOT to act on the first impulse feelings that makes this about you.

Keeping a daily journal may be helpful to you, and your doctor.
    I.don't.walk in a room an think that
    .. but thank you for advice! An talk .
    Expert

Apr 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
    No you think people touch their nose is about you, or your flaws. For others its about the room of laughing people. Both are examples of being extremely self conscious about yourself.

You have become obsessed over this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

People rub their noses around me -- why? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am having the same problem. What's up with this? I do t think it's bad breadth. My family even rubs/touches their nose when I talk.

People always rub their nose around me and I can't figure out why! [ 9 Answers ]

For the last 3 and a half months people have treated me differently, like I have something on my nose. They itch their nose, play with their nose and look at me weird. Ill walk by someone and they will look at me like I have a deformity or something and itch their nose. I have tried everything from...

People rub their nose around me? HELP! [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... Ive been addicted to weed for about a couple of months. I used to smoke everyday throughout my whole junior year of high school. I quit smoking on July 16th 2010. And ever since then I've noticed something weird. Every time I breathe people rub their nose. Like I could be 20 feet away and...

I usually speak through nose, people can't able to get what I say. [ 3 Answers ]

If any wan't to suggest me to my problem, *** personal email deleted as it is against site policy for off board contact

Leaky nose in elderly people [ 2 Answers ]

Does fixodent denture adhesive contain zinc

View more questions Search