Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcawthorne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 03:42 PM
    Free home repairs for senior citizens.
    I'm a retired senior citizen and been having difficulty keeping up with the many repairs needed in my home. I have applied with the city and sheltering arms but they won't budge because I have foundation problems.

Is there any one out there that knows of a company, person, or government agency that will aid in house repairs. For I can't get insurance on my house until the various repairs are done and if my mortgage company gets one my mortgage goes up! Sending out an SOS. PLease help if you can! Thanks in advance and God Bless!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
    We would need your general location in order to help. This is an international site.

Don't post your exact address, just general, like Country, state, province, etc. etc.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
    Don't know where you are; but it doesn't make any difference. I am a senior and I pay for repairs and renovations.

If you let us know what country you are in, perhaps we can direct you to low cost repair work.
    lcawthorne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    We would need your general location in order to help. This is an international site.

Don't post your exact address, just general, like Country, state, province, etc. etc.
    I'm in Houston Tx, Harris County, United States.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 03:53 PM
    We are all volunteers and there are other experts to answer your question.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 03:54 PM
    Let me do a bit of research. It may take a while. I'm not really familiar with the States. Give me a bit of time. Check back in a few hours, hopefully I'll have found something. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 04:00 PM
    Call the reference desk at your local public library and ask this question. They should have a list of local groups who do work on a sliding scale or as volunteers for senior citizens. In that group, there is probably a general contractor who will assess the situation with your foundation and perhaps be able to figure out ways to help you (depending on what is wrong) for a low cost. For instance, my son's home was built in 1920 and has foundation problems due to mortar crumbling. He has been told the best way to fix this is to pour a new foundation to the tune of $15,000+ -- so again, it depends on what is wrong with YOUR foundation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Have you looked into a home warranty company in your area? Quotes are free. Foundation repair is a common problem in Texas, old home or new, and financing is the key.

Texas Home Warranty Companies

http://www.ehow.com/how_5984266_pay-...me-equity.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2013, 04:46 PM
    If you are a veteran, check with the local groups, AM Vets, American Legion, VFW, they provide some minor money help to other vets in need, plus at times some of their members even help with work.

Also the religion of your faith, and the worship center you attend is usually the best source. Most help comes from within the religious community.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grant for home repairs for senior citizens [ 6 Answers ]

Our home is in need of repairs and we do not have the money to fix it, are there any grants out there for seniors for home repairs?

Free senior citizen home repairs [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is 83 years old, and needs repairs to her home how can I get free help?

Home repairs for senior citizens? [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I had purchased this home about a year ago... not realizing that it had so many problems some of them were discovered in the home inspection.. and others are showing up now... and the cost of trying to get these things done are way out of my ball park... This is my first...

Grants for senior citizens home repairs [ 5 Answers ]

My mom is 84 yrs old and only receives social security-she has been having water leaking into her basment for years. We would dry it up and wait for the next rainfall. It has gotten so bad that she now has mold spores and the tile on the floor has broken to pieces. It's affecting her health because...

Free home repairs for senior citizens [ 4 Answers ]

I am disabled and on Social Security Disablity, I had my leg amputed. Does anyone know of any agencies, etc. that can provide me with some home repairs, I live in Brazoria, County, Texas, which is next door to Houston, Texas. I live in a Mobile Home and it needs to be leveled and skirting...

View more questions Search