Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Syl72659 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 01:33 PM
    Homeowner's Insurance
    Does the insurance company penalize for claims filed and paid but homeowner never has work performed?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2013, 01:37 PM
    What do you mean by penalize? I am seeing policies written on properties which have mortgates or lines of credit against them requiring that proof of the work's completion be provided to the insurance company.

Jan 9, 2013, 01:40 PM
    I live in the home I grew up in but my mom lives out of town since '03 since dad died and the insurance is in her name. I made a claim due to rain water damage causing the roof to leak. The check was sent to this (the home) address and I forwarded on the my mom where her sister handles her finances. It's been over two months and the aunt has not cashed and sent me the money for the repairs. This is the second time in four years a claim has been made and paid for but they did not get it done.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Generally when an insurance carrier issues a check for repairs, the check is made out to the name of the homeowner AND the lienholder. The lienholder then releases the money when proof of repair is made.

If a claim is made and the repairs not done, the carrier can cancel the insurance or raise the rates.

Jan 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Ok thank you. Yes, the check was issued to my mother; the insured. They just have not cashed and sent the money to me to have the repairs done. I suppose this is more of a "family matter". Nothing the insurance company can do about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Insurance [ 15 Answers ]

Neighbor occasionally baby sits in her own home. She has homeowners Insurance. I often wonder if the child got hurt under her care, would the insurance cover it. Or is there a separate policy she should get.

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

New roof through homeowner insurance [ 3 Answers ]

We have a tin roof over 30 years old. The ceiling is leaking in 3 rooms and 2 hallways in our house. Will insurance cover a new roof?

HomeOwner's insurance claim [ 4 Answers ]

Mom's property has had no mortgage due on it for a # of years. Recently there was catastrophic damage from water and frozen pipes. Insurance company paid her directly. The question was asked of the insurance company if she has to repair the house or can she sell it. The response was that 'the...

View more questions Search