Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jackelyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Unused, Empty Toilet
    A year ago we shut the water to a toilet in our house off because it was constantly running. We were planning to replace the toilet (it was very old anyway) with a new one when we renovated the bathroom. Some time has passed and we are now ready to renovate and will replace the toilet. Will we have any problems removing the toilet now with built up fumes, etc. Someone told us that it is dangerous to have a toilet with no water in it in the house. Now I am worried - any advice?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Mar 16, 2007, 10:21 AM
    After a year, the toilet trap has almost certainly dried out. It is dangerous to have a dry trap because it lets sewer gas flow into the home. The gas does not build up in the toilet. If the gas has not troubled you to this point, it is probably not going to start now.

Use a rag to block the trap until you are ready to replace the toilet. Part of the regular procedure is to drain the trap, so you have a head start!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 16, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Dennis gave you very good advice. If you plan on keeping the toilet5 around for awhile I would dump a bucket of water in the bowl to fill the trap. If you're going to change it right away then leave it dry. There will be no danger to you from built up fumes when you change it out. Good luck, Tom
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 16, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Agree with speedball and dennis both, but in the future always pour some water down the bowl to stop gasses, if you are leaving it connected to drain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I feel So empty [ 15 Answers ]

My life is pretty calm and I barley have anything wrong. I am an only child and I have a very caring loveing mother that has always been there for me... I don't have a messed up life but I constantley feel as though I have nothing... no feeling what so ever.. and I'm always depressed it seems...

How do I properly bury unused elcectic wire? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling my bathroom. The original heating had electric baseboard. The new heating installed years ago is now oil fired forced hot air. I removed the old electric baseboard and now have an unused wire. What is the safest way of burying this wire? Thanks, Kevin

Unused shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower stall in the basement and a tub/shower on the first floor both of which are rarely used. In order to keep the sewer gas from coming up I normaly run some water down the drains but ususlly don't remember till there is an odor. Is there a better way like some sort of plug or...

I feel so empty.. What should I do? [ 5 Answers ]

So I have went through some pretty crazy relationships, but I was always being hurt, or lied too, even cheated on- and finally I thought I found the guy of my dreams. He was amazing- he brought me flowers, drove for four hours at two in the morning to come and see me, and never put me down once. In...

View more questions Search