Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 05:31 AM
    How Cold Is it
    We have had about -6 to - 10 degree C ( or about 20 degree F) for those in US.
    For the past few weeks.

As most of you know the school building I teach at has no heat in the building, and in fact the hall ways and bath room windows are often opened since they believe a person has to have fresh air ( which they do with no ventilation)

So there was a water spill in the bathroom and water froze into a sheet of ice on the bathroom flow. The worker was in the bathroom with a scrapper taking the ice off the tile floor.

Scares you to know that he did not think anything about it. The students did not think anything about it, and they had a tool ready to do this when it happens.

At least no cold toilet seats, since they don't have any toilets

In class it is hard for the students to write, since many try to do it while wearing their gloves.

The last photo is a few of the girls in my class today, Today was finals for the semester and everyone wanted to exchange photos for the day.
    Attached Images

Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 05:37 AM
    Now the restroom above did have the porcelain squat toilet that flush, when water is not frozen.

But part of the campus does not have the nicer bathrooms like the one shown above. Their "toilets" are merely a trough in the floor, runs from one side of the room to the other. You basically step across and have one foot on one side, and the other foot on the other side and make sure you squat close enough and aim good.

This one here has stalls ( no doors but stall walls) many of the bathrooms in older buildings off campus don't even have stall walls,
    Attached Images

J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 06:56 AM
    That's just strange to me. But I'm very Westernized.

It's 30F here this morning with temps to reach 60 today and possibly 70 on Thursday. Yep, we are expecting storms toward the end of the week. Some severe.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 8, 2013, 07:03 AM
    More interesting slice of life we don't usually hear about, thanks!
    I'm a big energy saver (try not to be too militant about it with others) and keep my thermostat set at 60 most of the time. My roommate has his own zone upstairs. It's been 4 F to 30 F at night where I live. I wear a polartec jacket, a silk knit hat down over my forehead and ears, lambswool slippers, and fingerless gloves in the house.

I applaud those schoolkids in China. They will be a HUGE part of the future of the world.
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 07:39 AM
    I wonder how many kids would go to college in the US, if they knew they were going to be in class for at least 6 hours a day Mon though Fri and a few hours every Sat and maybe Sun. S
    School here is 7 days a week, Now they do have nice breaks for holidays.
    And in the winter it was going to be freezing in the building, and even your lunch hall was not much over 40 degrees.

There is no showers in the dorms, in most of them, but they have to walk to a separate building to take showers.

I don't think we would see many of the people who really did not want to go, be there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 08:00 AM
    I know I wouldn't be there!
    Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Of course the part I am not saying is how loving the people are, In many cases I am the first American many of them have ever meet in real life, ( God help international relationships, since I am not the example of what Americans are)

But we get asked about American, about life there, People are always stopping us to get photos taken with us. And of course the school where my wife teaches, has nice heated rooms, her class has full computers and AV equipment. The bathrooms are heated. The halls still have windows open, but that is just their belief in fresh air to stop illness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer/no cold water, only on, hot wash cold rinse [ 0 Answers ]

Temperature settings are: CC, WC, WW, HC. Cold water works in all settings except the HC setting, ( Hot wash cold rinse ).

My ac unit is not cooling, the large copper line is cold but not super cold, [ 7 Answers ]

My ac unit is not cooling, the large copper line is cold but not super cold, my husband changed the filter and we set the ac to 78 and it has been at 81 for about an hour. What other things should we check for before we call an AC repair person.

Cold and drafty from ceiling mounted cold air return [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a adobe style home built in 2000 with a Single Roof Mounted combined HVAC system in the Albuquerque New Mexico Area. Directly below the HVAC is the only cold air return duct work located in the ceiling of the Hallway on one end of the Home. A single Thermostat for the entire...

Furnace blowing cold air.starts out warm, goes to cold. [ 6 Answers ]

Hoping for help here. I recently had my ignitor replaced. Before that, the furnace wasn't working at all. Now it starts blowing warm (not hot) air, then gradually over a period of a couple of hours, the air cools down until it is completely cold and the temperature in the house drops drastically....

View more questions Search