Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kathy Huffman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 01:17 PM
    Sinus infection caused by infected tooth?
    I have had pain in my lower jaw and one of my lower molars for over one week. I even started getting pain in my jaw, neck, and ear. Then on New Year's Eve, I started feeling really sick. My whole mouth hurt. When I swallowed, it hurt my head. It felt as if something was stuck in my soft palate. Then on New Year's Day, I started blowing and spitting out large clots of blood with green and yellow mixed mucus. I went to my doctor and she said I have a very bad sinus infection. My dentist's office finally opened this past Thursday. I got an emergency appointment. He told me I have an infected molar, but he wants me to wait to see if the Amoxicillin 1000 mg twice daily will help my tooth too.

My question is whether you think my tooth could have caused the sinus infection.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2013, 01:28 PM
    Absolutely yes - Sinus Infections and Dental Oral Health
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 05:40 PM
    Yes. Years ago I had a bad tooth that I was waiting to get taken care of and it caused me a sinus infection.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2013, 06:56 PM
    Me too. So sick for many months, with a bronchial cough, couldn't walk up stairs, no antibiotics worked, because of an infection under a crown. Go straight to an oral surgeon, NOT your dentist, for this, despite the higher cost.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 07:31 PM
    And I will make it four, yes of course, tooth infections can cause 100's of other body illness
    Kathy Huffman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And I will make it four, yes of course, tooth infections can cause 100's of other body illness
    Thank you for answering my question. I'm going to call my dentist tomorrow so I can get it pulled. I have had bad luck with root canals and ended up having all four upper molars and porcelain crowns pulled. That was way too expensive and I definitely will not do it again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 09:20 PM
    As did I, I ended up having to have many teeth pulled for various reasons
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 7, 2013, 04:46 AM
    I agree about never again - all that money spent on root canals and crowns, believing that they lasted forever, and having no idea how much can go wrong. Does any dentist ever warn people?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sinus infection [ 3 Answers ]

I had a cold, (maybe a flu) and I was treated with amoxicilyn pills. After that I'm having sinus infection with high density secretion (color - yellow /green) for almost 15 days now. I don't have headaches. I have a lot of trouble breathing. I've tried inhalation with sea salt in boiling water but...

Sinus and ear infection? [ 1 Answers ]

I think I have a sinus infection, I just got over a cold and I have a lot of phlegm but my face really hurts and my nose feels heavy like it has fluid in it I have tried all of those things like hot showers, and inhaling Lavender oil but nothing works the phlegm is coming out but it still hurts so...

Sinus Infection in the Brain [ 9 Answers ]

My mom was in the hospital about a year ago, with a Sinus Infection that reached her brain. She was there for a week, and they gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics, and told her to go see her neurologist. Problem is, that 2 years ago, she lost her job after being there for 12 years(corporate...

Issue with a possible sinus infection [ 5 Answers ]

I MIGHT have a sinus infection. It may just be a head cold. But it feels like a sinus infection to me. I have been completely plugged up all night last night and all day today with yellow mucus. Not fun. However I have had a sinus infection before. So I can deal with it. My issue is, it seems...

Sinus infection? [ 2 Answers ]

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I think I have a sinus infection, my ears are constantly clogged and feel like they need to pop, and my head hurts so bad in the back, top, front, and sides, it hurts worse when I bend down to fast like a thumping pain. The only problem is my...

View more questions Search