Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cinthiacastle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 08:41 PM
    Being charged as an adult when crime was committed as juvi
    My son committed a crime at 14 the cops waited till he was 17 then charged him as an adult sentenced him to prison followed by probation. He now has a violation at 22 years old still for the crime com!mited at 14.they say his points score him out to prison again. Is it legal for them to access them: points to him as if he committed the crime as an adult?had they charged him when the other boys were charged hed been a juvinille. I understand statue of limitations that's fine but as a adult your suppose to know better that's why the point system was devolped but technically hasn't never been in trouble as an adult but they treating him like a menace to society.

Threads Merged
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2013, 08:46 PM
    There are many crimes that a juvenile can and will be charged as an adult for... as they should be.

Your son committed yet another crime... so yes they can and will consider his other conviction...

I've managed to make it 51 years without a single arrest without really trying... its really not hard to do.

He's been caught twice... that DOES make hm a menace to society...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2013, 05:11 AM
    There are many crimes where minors, even at 14 or 15 or charged as an adult because of the seriousness of the crime. Then he was on probation, he violated the probation, so yes of course he goes back to jail.

I know you are his mother and love him, but you have to also realise he is committing crimes and has to answer for them.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 5, 2013, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Your son committed yet another crime....so yes they can and will consider his other conviction...
    He's been caught twice...
    I read the OP's post to indicate that he only committed the one crime, when he was 14. Am I reading it wrong?
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I read the OP's post to indicate that he only committed the one crime, when he was 14. Am I reading it wrong?
    Upon reading it a second time... its possible that is correct... I initially read it as he got violated again (which I interpreted to be he did something Again).

But in any case... he was charged, tried and convicted as an adult... and he will have to live with it as should every other convicted criminal.

With actions come consequences. You don't want a sex offender working around kids... you don't want someone who committed a robbery working around large sums of money... and you don't want a drug addict working where they have access to drugs.

Whatever his actual crime was... he was tried and convicted as an adult... he served his time and now he has to live with it... as well as any restrictions it might bring.

Jan 5, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Adult juvinille/points system
    I asked a question last night but did not word it correctly so here I am again,lol my son was 14 yrs old when he committed a crime at 17 he was tried and convicted my son was overlooked 3yrs earlier. When your a juvinille its all about rehabilitTion and levels when you're an adult its points because your suppose to know better. Him being punished for the crime of course is rewuired nor an issue for me but had he been punished at 14 he would have done a year boys home. He got 2yrs prison follelwed by 4 yrs probation,still we are OK with thst.my question is it legal for them to put adult points against him even though he didn't commit the crime as an adult? Those points follow you forever now it apoears,he did the crime as adult. Descion msking at 14 and descion making at18 are not the same. Those points make him look like he's been in a lot of trouble as an.adult when reality is he hasn't been in trouble in 8 years. This been bugging me for years no one can seem to give me answer please help. How can he be giving adult criminal points for a crime committed as juvinille. Again him being punished is not even slight concern myself and my son both know that, please help thanks for your time
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 5, 2013, 05:17 PM
    As was already mentioned, sometimes the crime is bad enough that they are charged as an adult. You talk about decision making at 14 as opposed to adult age... well, in some cases, I guess it is assumed that you shouldn't make such a decision at any age. Of course, you haven't told us what he did so we simply have to assume the worst.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2013, 08:54 PM
    He clearly committed a serious enough crime because the courts decided he should be tried as an adult.

He was tried as an adult because of that... not because of his age when it went to trial. And yes he should have to live with the consequences of that... just as every other person tried and convicted as an adult is expected to.

And your son was not alone... there have been others and there will be more... and all of them have to live with it too.

Jan 5, 2013, 09:02 PM
    Adult points
    Im a first time any type of chat this is actually really neat and I appreciate everybodys time its intresting.but again I can not get solid answer on my question I been asking this question for 5 years. Im going to ask kind of outright with nothing about him in detail:i think that is what causes a distraction then after id :be more than happy to get into it.:) I'm in Florida the justice system for juvenille is levels and rehabilitation for adults it's a point scale.each crime accesses points the more points you havr the longer you go to prison. If my son committed the crime as a juvenile but got charged as an adult then is it within his rights to have points against him? If he got in trouble again it looks like he committed the crime as an adult because of this point scale. Being punished for his crime is nothing other than nessasary but if it takes 10 points to go to prison for ten years and he was given 5for a crime he committed at 14. Now the simpleest thing could send him to prison needless to say it would look as if since he's turned 18 he's committed these crimes within a short period but in reality its been 8yrs since any trouble also his first time as a adult. I don't see how that's fair juvenille records used to be sealed at 18 now there only used for a reference for pattern but how could they give him points but the other boys who got convicted ay 14 don't have any points? Punishment of course nessacary but are the points unconstitutional? 
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 5, 2013, 09:13 PM
    threads merged again
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2013, 09:45 PM
    What do you mean you can't get a solid answer... you've already got several.

Or are you really only looking for someone to agree with what you want to believe rather than hear the truth?

Don't keep opening repetitive threads because its against the rules and it only makes you look unreasonable.

And it will lead to future posts being deleted.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Hello c:

You're not going to think what I say is neat..

IF he had a competent lawyer when the cops/prosecutor did what they did, they NEVER would have gotten away with it. It does you LITTLE good to hear that now, because he was found guilty, due to a guilty plea or a guilty finding in court...

Ok, I changed my mind.. IF he plead NOT guilty and was FOUND guilty, I think he has grounds for an appeal due to incompetent counsel.

That's NOT going to stop the present process...

Ok, I'm going to change my mind again... IF he gets a GOOD lawyer, and I mean a VERY good lawyer, he MIGHT be able to stop everything in its tracks...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If aressted for a crime but not charged is that being convicted of a crime [ 10 Answers ]

I am being promoted to a manager at work and it asks if I was ever convicted of a crime. In 2003 I was arrested for possession, then in 2011 my case was refused. How should I answer the question

Can you put that you have never been convicted of a crime if you were charged [ 2 Answers ]

Can you put that you have never been convicted of a crime if you were charged and then the case got dismissed?

Charged with a crime but not convicted [ 2 Answers ]

Charged with a crime but not convicted, what does it say on my background? How long does it take to pose on a criminial record?

Charged w/ a crime [ 1 Answers ]

In order for these charges to "stick" the "victim" must enter a formal complaint and in some cases must be present in any and/or all hearings. You also have a legal right to know your accuser, it is part of due process... somewhere among this you must have an idea why and how this has happened. I...

View more questions Search