Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 07:08 PM
    Brain teaser
    You saw a shirt for $97.

You didn’t have the cash, so you borrowed $50 from mom and $50 from dad.

50 + 50 = 100

You bought the shirt and had $3 change.

You gave your mom $1 and your dad $1 and kept the other $1 for yourself.

Now you owe your mom $49 and your dad $49.

49 + 49 = 98 + your 1 = 99

Where is the missing $1?
    JARIXA Posts: 95, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
    My guess is that you spent the one dollar on tax. But I'm not to sure? :(:):p
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 10, 2013, 02:08 PM
    There is NO missing $ as your math is out.

This has been asked so often I'm surprised you even posted it ;)

Here's the exploitation: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MissingDollarParadox.html

Feb 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
    It makes no sense you borrowed $100 had $3 left and split it amongst yourselves. You owed them $50 but now $49. Add 49+49 and its 98. Add the $2 you gave them and its $100. But there is $1 left. So you probably had the $1 all along or you miscalculated?
    :):):):p:p:p
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2013, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JARIXA View Post
    It makes no sense you borrowed $100 had $3 left and split it amongst yourselves. You owed them $50 but now $49. Add 49+49 and its 98. Add the $2 you gave them and its $100. But there is $1 left. So you probably had the $1 all along or you miscalculated?!
    :):):):p:p:p
    The answer is that you paid yourself back a dollar. You didn't owe yourself a dollar. You still owe your parents $49 each, but the extra dollar, the one that's missing, is in your own pocket.

Feb 11, 2013, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    The answer is that you paid yourself back a dollar. You didn't owe yourself a dollar. You still owe your parents $49 each, but the extra dollar, the one that's missing, is in your own pocket.
    Oh! Now I get it I was over thinking. I have a brain teaser for you... OK... Jack stole Jills dollar.Jack said it was in between pages 15 and 16 in the book and it fell out. Jill knew he was lying. How did she prove he wasn't telling the truth
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 11, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JARIXA View Post
    Oh! Now i get it i was over thinking. I have a brain teaser for you... ok...Jack stole Jills dollar.Jack said it was in between pages 15 and 16 in the book and it fell out. Jill knew he was lying. How did she prove he wasnt telling the truth
    16 was the backside of page 15.

Feb 11, 2013, 07:16 PM
    Book lover!! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    16 was the backside of page 15.
    Yup!! :)I know its an easy one but I like it because it has to do with books:plol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Math Brain Teaser [ 9 Answers ]

You are at Mcdonald's and are ordering chicken nuggets. There are 6, 9, and 20 piece options available. What is the largest order you can make that cannot be fulfilled by combining these three options.

Brain teaser - missing number [ 6 Answers ]

Find the missing number in the sequence: 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Need an answer to a brain teaser [ 6 Answers ]

I got a brain teaser needing an answer, it's the following: If you were the coach of a baseball team and there were 5'7" tall players and 5'5" short players and the coach was in the middle of the heights, how tall was the coach? If you can answer this question, I would really appreciate it,...

Maths - Brain Teaser - Riddle. [ 6 Answers ]

Could u help answer my maths problem solving question? It's really hard... :confused: A man goes out to dinner and comes home again. He goes upstairs to his room and gets into his pyjamas, then turns off the light. In the morning he looks out the window, then jumps out the window and kills...

View more questions Search