Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivor2win2 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Skype isn't the problem. I use skype. In fact, I talk to someone I met on this site on a daily basis. He's a good friend, I've known him for 5 years, from this site. But I knew him for almost 2 years, had talked via email, and on the phone, before we started skyping. Also, it's not a romantic relationship. He's a dear dear friend, sends my kids presents, even sends my husband gifts.

I think the problem is that you're meeting people online. It may not be online dating, but you're still basically dating the people you meet online. How did yo meet this girl from ghana? Did she send you a friend request on skype? I get those daily. I block them, and ignore. Never skype with someone you don't already know.

As for dating people face to face, look into single's bars. You can also see if your town has the 1 minute dating thing. I'm not sure what it's called. Basically you go, and there are usually around 20, sometimes more, women or men looking to meet someone. You sit with each one for 1 minute, talk, and then move on. At the end of the night if you found one of them interesting, or they found you interesting, you can ask for a date. Even if you don't meet anyone there, it will help you learn to communicate, and since it's only for a minute or so, you have nothing to lose. It can really boost your confidence.

But leave the ghana girls alone, nothing but scams coming out of that country.
    You asked me how I met this girl from Ghana. When I met her she was originally from Surrey, United Kingdom. She went to Ghana to help her mother at the orphanage her mother runs. She said she would be returning to the United Kingdom after Christmas. This was back in 2011 and she is still in Ghana. I do not know why she did not go back to the United Kingdom like she told me she was going to do. She friend requested me when she lived in Surrey, UK. I had gotten many friend requests from women in Kumasi, Ghana. I blocked all of them. I do not understand what is going own in her life because we are 5,300 miles away.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 10:59 AM
    Have you ever been in the same room with her in real life? (actually MET her, could have touched her) Or, all you know about her is what she has told you via Skype? She may never have been in the U.K. (just claimed she was), has always been in Ghana?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you ever been in the same room with her in real life? (actually MET her, could have touched her) Or, all you know about her is what she has told you via Skype? She may never have been in the U.K. (just claimed she was), has always been in Ghana?
    That would be my guess.

Jan 6, 2013, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I have not been in the same room with her, but I have seen her with my web-cam on my computer. All I know about her is what she has told me. I really do not understand what is going on here and why. She just called me and ask me to come on-line in Skype and she has not come on. The number she called me from is a number from California. I try to call it back and it is always busy. So you tell me. Is she in Ghana or the United kingdom or in the United States? I do not know and I really do not know what to do. I want to tell her to stop Skyping me especially if all she is going to do is ask for money.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 02:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivor2win2 View Post
    I have not been in the same room with her, but I have seen her with my web-cam on my computer. All I know about her is what she has told me. I really do not understand what is going on here and why. She just called me and ask me to come on-line in Skype and she has not come on. The number she called me from is a number from California. I try to call it back and it is always busy. So you tell me. Is she in Ghana or the United kingdom or in the United States? I do not know and I really do not know what to do. I want to tell her to stop Skyping me especially if all she is going to do is ask for money.
    Okay, I'm going to try to explain this to you. She lives in Ghana, she's working for a company that does these sorts of scams to make money. The way they start is by meeting people online, they start skyping, you believe everything they say because every time you skype it's the same girl, and you start to believe you're having a relationship.

They usually tell a story to get you comfortable with them, and they wait weeks, sometimes months, before they ask for money. Everything she has told you is a lie. She's talking to hundreds of other guys, telling them the same story, and asking them for money. If you sent the money, it won't be long until she asks for more. She'll keep asking until you say you won't send anymore, even after that she'll try a few more times, until she knows for sure that you're a lost deal. When that happens you'll never hear from her again.

The number you're calling is a fake number. It's easy to re-direct a call or even block a number, when you don't want the person to know where you're calling from. Most of the scams that call me are a California number. It's always someone with a scam. My favorite one is the ever popular "Hello sir or madam, I am calling from Telus, and I have found a virus on your computer. If you give me remote access I can fix it for you". Telus? Your number shows up Unknown, from California, or worse, Unknown name, unknown number. Telus would never hide their number.

Bottom line, this is a scam, and you're not ready to accept it. She's calling because she knows you haven't accepted that this is a scam, and she's hoping that she can still get money from you.

This is one of those things you'll have to either figure out for yourself, believe the people on this site, or send the money and find out the hard way. It's really your choice, but I'm telling you, this girl probably can't even remember your name without looking at the file she has on you. There are too many other guys she's stringing along.

Good luck.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 02:56 PM
    I want to tell her to stop Skyping me especially if all she is going to do is ask for money.
    You don't tell her anything. Just don't respond. She will get the message.

Jan 6, 2013, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Okay, I'm going to try to explain this to you. She lives in Ghana, she's working for a company that does these sorts of scams to make money. The way they start is by meeting people online, they start skyping, you believe everything they say because every time you skype it's the same girl, and you start to believe you're having a relationship.

They usually tell a story to get you comfortable with them, and they wait weeks, sometimes months, before they ask for money. Everything she has told you is a lie. She's talking to hundreds of other guys, telling them the same story, and asking them for money. If you sent the money, it won't be long until she asks for more. She'll keep asking until you say you won't send anymore, even after that she'll try a few more times, until she knows for sure that you're a lost deal. When that happens you'll never hear from her again.

The number you're calling is a fake number. It's easy to re-direct a call or even block a number, when you don't want the person to know where you're calling from. Most of the scams that call me are a California number. It's always someone with a scam. My favorite one is the ever popular "Hello sir or madam, I am calling from Telus, and I have found a virus on your computer. If you give me remote access I can fix it for you". Telus? Your number shows up Unknown, from California, or worse, Unknown name, unknown number. Telus would never hide their number.

Bottom line, this is a scam, and you're not ready to accept it. She's calling because she knows you haven't accepted that this is a scam, and she's hoping that she can still get money from you.

This is one of those things you'll have to either figure out for yourself, believe the people on this site, or send the money and find out the hard way. It's really your choice, but I'm telling you, this girl probably can't even remember your name without looking at the file she has on you. There are too many other guys she's stringing along.

Good luck.
    That last message was kind of nasty. I do not know and you do not know if she lives in Ghana. You are only going by what I have told you. I do believe that I will never hear from her again. That is because I will not send her any money. Maybe everything everyone has told me on this site is true and right now I am so confused that I do not know what to believe. The only person I trust is my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and my father God. I have a lot of hope that my father God will bring a Christian woman into my life so that we can share our lives together.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 04:35 PM
    That last message was kind of nasty. I do not know and you do not know if she lives in Ghana. You are only going by what I have told you. I do believe that I will never hear from her again. That is because I will not send her any money. Maybe everything everyone has told me on this site is true and right now I am so confused that I do not know what to believe. The only person I trust is my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and my father God. I have a lot of hope that my father God will bring a Christian woman into my life so that we can share our lives together.
    I hope you meet a nice lady, too. Have you tried at church?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 08:18 PM
    You may hear from her again, if they think they got you close, they don't give up that easy, they have other people also that do follow up.

As for phone numbers, that is easy, I am sitting in China, and I have a Georgia US phone number, with a 678 area code. That is easy to set up with Skype.
    They do this from Ghana so that you can call without costing you anything.

I have been in the offices of these types of places. They have large staffs of people, who work 3 shifts a day, they have script writers that review conversations and adapt scripts to new possible answers.

When skype does not work ( bet lots of days her video was down) she was not there and others were doing the messaging, She reviews the talk history before talking to you live again.

The reason they use Ghana, there is no police worry or laws they have to worry about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie from the 1980’s about a woman re-living the life of a young girl during the sec [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a movie (of the early 1980’s) taking place in the 1980’s about a young woman on a business trip with two male colleagues in an European city (I do not remember the name of the city). She stays in a little hotel (former Butcher’s shop, unknown to her). The woman hears strange noises...

Spouse living in Ghana [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Ghanian married to an American. How can I file with my two sons?

Want to marry woman in ghana [ 6 Answers ]

I am responding to the comment about the guy who was talking to a person in Ghana for 2 months, then realized it was posted 2 years ago. I am going through the same deal. I understand the scam.

Could a woman from Ghana actually be genuine? [ 7 Answers ]

I know everybody is saying ,all women in ghana are out to scam money out of you ,BUT I have been on friendly terms with this women from ghana ,we have now been in regular contact for over a year now ,different times of the day ,and night ,sometimes chatting for hours at a time ,when ever I call her...

View more questions Search