Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanscott12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Taxable Benefit on Employees Spouse
    Employee and spouse attend an off site Company meeting. Can the cost of the spouses meals be a taxable benefit to the employee?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 06:59 PM
    Was she required to come ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2013, 07:56 AM
    First, the employer myst REQUIRE that the spouse be there, and provide written proof of that requirement.

Even then, the IRS will be extremely skeptical of the deduction, because most employers would pay tge wife's expenses if they needed her to be there.

Bottom line, the answer is no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get tax benefit of H4 dependent (Spouse)? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on Oct-2011 on H1 and my wife on H4 visa. As per guidelines I qualify for non resident alien but on that status I can't file my tax jointly and also can't take dependent benefit for my wife. Is there any work around ? Or what is the best way to proceed ? By anyway I can file jointly...

Is there any tax benefit for F1 student on OPT living with F2 spouse [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am non-resident alien from india on F1 visa working on OPT. My wife is on F2 visa. Can I claim her to be dependent on my tax return or what exactly I need to do to get more tax benefits. Can I put head of household so that less taxes are taken out from paycheck. *** guide.

Is the Federal Per Diem for meals 50%, 80% or 100% Non Taxable for 1099 employees [ 3 Answers ]

Contract employees receive a 1099 that does not have separate boxes for pay and federal per diem. Business meals are generally allowed at 50% . The per diem is different and may be 100% allowed for contract employees out of town for under one yr. I can not find a clear answer in the IRS...

Are my employer paid rent expense a taxable fringe benefit? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my employer is paying my rent at $1,500 per month due to me relocating to another office in another state. Is this a taxable fringe benefit that I will have to include as part of my compensation? Thank you,

View more questions Search