Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountainwalker Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 03:18 PM
    Rivers and Canals
    What is the difference between a Roman canal lock and a British waterways canal lock?- is it in the lock gate design or the lock construction?- references to any answer would also be appreciated.
    Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 04:35 PM
    Hi mountain walker. I live in an area of Ontario where there is an extensive lock system between lakes which were built in the mid 1800s by manpower only. Your question interests me but my reference library is limited, and quite actually this is really obscure research. The lock systems were quite different concerning man-created, or excavated canals, opposed to a river lock systems. Do your question is double edged.

Is this research you are doing or homework?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 04:38 PM
    Does this help?

Lock (water transport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I grew up near the man-made Erie Canal and have visited the man-made Welland Canal near Niagara Falls -- very different lock systems from those on the Mississippi River which I have also seen at work. (Tickle is correct.)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 05:14 PM
    WG, good link, but this is like what came first, the chicken or egg. I too am very interested to learn just how the romans initiated this, but the fact remains, the locks systems were left over from roman times, so the british just adapted them to better use is my best answer. So basically, that is the answer, not necessarily our lock systems on your side,my side, but what was left over from the romans is IT,
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Well, the Romans were noted for their aqueducts, although the Wikipedia article does mention Roman thinking regarding locks*. Or maybe the question concerns the locks at Rome, NY, at the Old Erie Canal where the canal walking/biking trail crosses the canal.

*Roman canals and locks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help root canals gone wrong [ 1 Answers ]

I’m recently doing a root canal its taking him 3 ½ years and then he had to reopen it because he did not put the right filling in and it’s still not done and hurt like mad crazy . Then he sends for my cap and want put it on because my insurance ran out. Now the whole thing has fallen apart in...

Root canals gone wrong? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a root canal and have had the worst experience ever. During the procedure, my dentist hit something and I cried the pain was so intense. My face has swollen to twice the size and I am now experiencing bruising. What can I do?

Dental root canals needed after crowns placed [ 2 Answers ]

I went to a local dentist and they took x-rays and stayed that I had decay on several of my back teeth. I had 5 crowns placed on the left side of my mouth, two of which hurt a few days after the operation. I returned to the dentist several times to get the bite adjusted and nothing seemed to...

Curious about root canals [ 2 Answers ]

Is it absolutely necessary to have a root canal? My dentist said I needed a root canal. I did not have any pain in the tooth at all even though I did have a pretty big hole in it. Was a root canal absolutely necessary? Couldn't they have just cleaned and filled the hole instead of doing something...

Are crowns a necessity for root canals [ 2 Answers ]

I had a root canal done about 3 weeks ago and today I found out that my dentist wants to put a cown on it. I an asking if this is truly needed for the cost is over $500 and I just paid $450 for the root canal.

View more questions Search