Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmmiller117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 08:41 AM
    Can I put myself in foster care?
    I am 15 years old and I really want to be put in foster care. Living with my mom is just too stressful. I get really depressed and I just want to run away or kill myself. Can I put myself in foster care without her consent? And no physical abuse? I live in North Dakota if that makes a different. My boyfriends mom is a foster parent who I trust with everything its just perfect when I stay with them. She said I'm more then welcome to live with her. I've been dating her son for a long time but my mom has no idea about him. Can someone just please give me any information on how that works and just help. I just want to finish high school feeling good about myself and it seems the only place I can do that is there.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 08:44 AM
    No, you cannot place yourself into foster care.
    mmmiller117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2013, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    No, you cannot place yourself into foster care.
    Why not?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 08:57 AM
    Foster care is reserved for children in dangerous envrionments. Children are placed in foster care by court order. You can't just go into care because you are unhappy at home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 08:58 AM
    That is not how the law and rules work,
    Next you would not be living with boyfriends foster parents anyway, the court would appoint them, perhaps in another city even.
    o
    The Child protective services have to investigate, they have to find a legal reason to have you removed from the home, Often you may be keep in one of there dorms or emergancy housing temp while they try to work out a plan to have you returned to the home.

Next they have to look to see if your father can or will take you, since he would have the next legal rights if they take you from the mother.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 4, 2013, 01:03 PM
    So you want to move in with your boyfriend. Admit it, that's the only reason you want to leave home.

If your mother is a danger to you, which you've already admitted she isn't, then you'd have to call CPS. The would investigate, and if they found your living situation to be unsafe, you'd be removed from the home. Your boyfriends mother would not be the one to foster you, you have no say in which foster home you go to.

As Chuck said, a relative will likely be the first choice, like your father. But no, you would not be allowed to move in with your boyfriend. If your dad can't be found, or can't take you, you'd be put into foster care, not your choice.
    Comeandgetme12 Posts: 99, Reputation: -5

Jan 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
    Foster care is for people in filthy or dangerous environment and it costs the state a lot of money . Just because your unhappy doesn't give you the right to go to foster care, and you do not get to pick which one you go to, most foster children are boundCed around, have ty clothes because the state gives the foster parents little money to spend per child wich normally goes to food. If u don't end up at the diaries foster home you'll have other kids who have had tragedies and may not know better steal your , because well the have never had anything and the parent may be mean, some foster parents have killed there foster children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get put into foster care without my parents consent? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old and my mum and step dad have done nothing but treat me like dirt on there shoe,like my mum would go to work sometsomenights or days and during the time she's gone my step-dad would be very cheeky towards me,like if I asked were my mum was he would give me smart asnwers or yell and...

How can I get put into foster care [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and would like to be taken out of my home and into Foster care. Clearly this is not something I would want but I have no other choice. I have been abused by both my parents physicality but mostly mental. Last year I was taken away by D.C.f but put right back home after a "Talk"...

How to get put into foster care? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl,l in a house where I get verbally abused by my sister to the point where I start to bash her. That's not who I am but after so much abuse from her, calling me names and making snappy comments I just blow up and end up hurting her. Its not the right environment for me. How...

Can you be put in foster care at 16 [ 7 Answers ]

Can you be put in foster care at 16 in Colorado

Can I put My nephew in Foster Care [ 11 Answers ]

I filed for and received custody of my 9 year old nephew because his mom is serving time in prison and his father is deceased.. It's been very hard since he moved in with me and has caused me to loose one job already because of me taking time off to run back and fourth to his school to the...

View more questions Search