Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Mar 15, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Police brutality?
    So, in my town, a friend was shot to death because, according to the paper, he had a psychiatric episode and threatened the cops with a 2-1/2-inch knife. They shot him in the chest sevel times. He dies 10 minutes later, begging for help. They shot him after two minutes of arguing. What do you think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Standard procedure for police, a suspect with a knife is considered having a deadly weapon, there is an assumed 13 ft distance that a person with a knife is considered deadly.

If he was threatening the officers, refused to drop the knift, they waited 1 minute 45 seconds past the correct time to shoot.

At the first command he did not drop the knife, was within a dangerious distance, they are ( at least by the training in GA POST) they are to shoot him.

And the correct place to shoot is the chest, and normally each officer is recommeneded to shoot twice.

And I am sure once he was down, and unarmed ( and he should have been handcuffed, shot or not) they would have given as much first aid as possible.

I would say that the officers did everything by the book,
    kepi Posts: 321, Reputation: 25

Mar 16, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Oh, I see.
    Thanks for the clarification:D
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Are you certain Fr_Chuck? I mean about the shooting in the chest thing? At least here in Holland the right place to shoot is NOT the chest. A police officer, even threatened by a knife, should avoid shooting in the chest/head, but he should shoot in the arm the perp (sorry kepi) is holding the knife with or the leg so the perp is disabled.
    But the police (in holland, that is) should be careful when using his gun. If a guy just argues with the police and he has a knife and the police shoots him in the chest several times, there is going to be hell to pay (for the policemen, that is). And even if someone runs towards the cops, they should shoot him in the arms/legs, and not a lathal place like the chest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Collision, no police report [ 2 Answers ]

I was driving home on a wet road last night and suddenly lost traction and control of the car, but managed to swerve it and hit the side of the road and stop it. I busted the front right part of my car and the tire. Unfortunately, I was a minute from home and so shaken up that I didn't call the...

Screenplay: Police Ask for ID [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a screenplay. Here's the situation, and the legal question(s) that arise from it. I have a character who is suspected of art theft. He has not been charged. It turns out he is out of town. A police detective, who has come to question him questions a neighbor who lives in the same...

Police Department [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told that I could not be hired for a position at the local police department (City X, North Carolina) because I have a judgement sitting on my credit report. Why do they do that? I meet all other qualifications, and when I ask the reason isn't that I am not capable, but because I have...

Police officers trespassing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know if a police office can go on to private property if they are not called?

View more questions Search