Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeeLou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Wedding etiquette; not invited should we give a gift?
    The son of best friend of ours is getting married but we are not invited to the wedding. It is a large Italian wedding. We understand the bride's family does the inviting and are not upset that we are not invited but would like to give a gift. We do notwant to upset them on the other hand by giving a gift with the possibility of making them feel badly that they did not invite us. What is the etiquette?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Your giving a wedding gift would be very generous. I cannot imagine that the wedding couple and their families would feel bad about it.

Jan 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your giving a wedding gift would be very generous. I cannot imagine that the wedding couple and their families would feel bad about it.
    Thank you! That makes a lot of sense!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
    Plus, he's your son's best friend, so you must know him fairly well and know the wedding guest situation. And his parents must know about you.

Jan 3, 2013, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Plus, he's your son's best friend, so you must know him fairly well and know the wedding guest situation. And his parents must know about you.
    He is the son of my husband's best friend.Italians often give monetary gifts also and we really do not have that much money. But they know our custom is to give a bought gift. Thank you so very much for giving me some insight!!
    jordii Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Mar 16, 2013, 02:58 PM
    Assuming that you have known this young man for a long time I would give the gift to the groom with your best wishes for the future. I am sure he will be grateful and appreciative of your thoughfulness.

Since you are not invited you should never feel obliged to give money just because the bride is Italian. Give the gift you want to give him/them.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2013, 03:38 PM
    I would send a token gift - nothing lavish - AFTER the wedding. That way, they won't take it as a guilt trip or as trying to angle for a wedding invitation. You can accompany the gift with a card to the effect of, "We so enjoyed hearing about your wedding from Jim's mother and dad and wanted to let you know we are thinking of you both at this exciting time, and we wish you only the best." This acknowledges that your primary relationship is with the parents, and makes evident that you are not sore over not being invited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Gift Etiquette [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a college student (working with a budget) that lives in Florida. A friend of mine is getting married in Illinois. I'm wondering if the cost of traveling to Illinois should have any effect on how much I should spend on her wedding gift. Is it rude to spend a little less considering we're paying...

Destination wedding gift etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

A family member is having a destination wedding which we will not be attending. They are also planning a reception about 9 months later closer to home. We, of course, want to give a gift but am unsure if we do this prior to the actual wedding or do we wait until the reception 9 months later which...

Do they expect a wedding gift? We weren't invited. [ 11 Answers ]

Please help this has happened three times to us in the last few months. Friend or coworker calls up on the phone to share the news that they have gotten married. Great, OK, but in one guy's case I didn't even know he was engaged until after he called. Are they somehow trying to get wedding gifts...

Etiquette for figuring wedding gift of a dollar amount. [ 8 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time arriving at the proper amount to give as a wedding gift for A friend of my son's wedding. This is NOT a relative. It's a very large wedding and My son is standing up for the groom. They have received almost all of the stuff from their registry so I spoke with...

View more questions Search