Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mandylicious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 08:11 PM
    My bunny
    Hello alty,

I see you have a lot of experience with bunnies and I have a question.

In February 2012 I got my bunny sniffy. I believe she was about 8 weeks old when I got her from a pet store. She was so lovable, came to cuddle with me when I laid on the couch and loved to play. She was a bit aggressive when we tried to feed her, she kept attacking my hand. She kept trying to get underneath the couch and when I tried to stop her she attacked me. So I had enough of it and got her spayed. It's been a little over 2 months that she had been spayed but now she doesn't want to be around me anymore. Doesn't come to cuddle, when I get down on the floor to play with her she runs away. And it's been like that since she got spayed. Do you think I will get my old sniffy back? I miss her coming to cuddle with me, and I miss being able to play with her. I understand their attitude changes after they get spayed but I did not expect this. The only good thing that came out of it, is that she is fully litter trained.
    She does have plenty of toys to play with, she has a salt stone that she absolutely loves and she get Timothy's hay everyday and veggies.

I keep picking her and make her lay with me, which seems to work a little bit. Maybe I just have to give it some more time?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what I can do better.
    Thank you :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 08:49 PM
    Hi Mandy.

Spaying and neutering isn't an instant fix. For a female rabbit it can take a long time to heal, it's not an easy surgery. The outside stitches may be healed, but she may still be a bit sore on the inside, especially after only 2 months. I would give it more time.

One thing about rabbits, they actually don't enjoy being held. They tolerate it, but they'd much rather be left on the ground to hop around. Being held is a scary thing for most rabbits. They can be tamed enough to accept it, but even then they never really enjoy it.

For now you should start slowly with her. Let her come to you. If she has a favorite treat, try by slowly introducing your hand into her cage. Have a treat and wait for her to come to you for the treat. If she doesn't come to you, she doesn't get the treat. It won't be instant, can take days, even weeks, but if you do it a few times a day, she'll eventually come to you for her treat. After she's started coming to you for her treats, try petting her. Behind the ears is an extra special spot, a good rub behind the ears is always enjoyed.

When she's allowing you to touch her, then take her out of her cage, sit on the floor grab a treat, and put it on your lap. Your rabbit will be a lot more prone to sitting on your lap if you're sitting on the floor. Let her come to you.

It can take some work, a lot of patience, and a lot of time, but all of my 4 rabbits will come to sit on my lap, even Kilala, my holy terror. :)

Other then that, I think you're doing wonderfully. I'm so happy to hear of a rabbit owner that had her rabbit spayed, and cares for her very well. Too many people get these little animals and think they're an easy pet that requires no care. They do, and their needs are unique. You're doing a great job.
    Mandylicious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 08:54 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    I love her more then anything and I will definitely keep trying to get her to come around thank you for your advice, much appreciated!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bunny [ 22 Answers ]

Thank you for the offer Alty. I not knowledgeable about bunnies but am willing to learn. Please correct things that are wrong. I am trying to include all relevant info as I know that is necessary if I have forgotten anything let me know. Noble Garden my bunny was bought from a pet store. I...

We're to keep a bunny [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a bunny and I do not know were to keep it my backyard has no grass?

What does BUNNY mean? [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Bunny, I do not know its meaning. Tell

My bunny again. [ 5 Answers ]

So well... My rabbit is pulling out a lot of fur, and making a nest with it, SHE IS NOT PREGNANT, as she hasn't been around a male for at least 4 months. Im not worried about the whole nest thing, its about how much hair she is taking out! Half her cage is complete hair! Also I don't know if I...

View more questions Search