Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 11:49 AM
    Price Comparison
    My neighbor's grandmother was shopping at the market. Comparing prices
    To the other stores with here pad and pencil. The 17 year old clerk accused her of industrial espionage and discharged her from the store. Is price checking against the law?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2013, 11:59 AM
    No, but a store is allowed to refuse patronage to anyone.
    mareola Posts: 15, Reputation: -1

Jan 1, 2013, 12:00 PM
    It is absolutely not against the law. There are even smartphone apps that allow you to scan the bar code and get the price at all stores (even online stores).
    With that being said, stores can also refuse service to anyone they choose as long as it's not on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or handicap. She should have called for a manager.
    Now that the moment is over, she should contact the store's corporate offices and report the young man. He is clearly on some kind of power trip.
    If they don't apologize and promise to handle it, then you should let us know the store's name and I'll begin making calls to them as well.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 12:35 PM
    The manager told her she willingly and maliciously tried to damage my company by complaining and to remain silent. She ceded.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2013, 01:42 PM
    She can even post prices from different stores on the internet of she wants, and it is not illegal for other stores to send people into other stores to compare prices.

If this is a corporate store I would file a complaint to the company, and perhaps even make a deal of it on a web site.

As long as what she posts is true, there is no issues.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 03:04 PM
    Very Good. She is frail elderly women and not combative. It is a local store owner from India.
    She has no car, and must deal with this store owner. Thanks for the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rental Renewal Letter quotes me 1 price, during lease signing it's another price [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, In May I received a renewal letter that quoted me a monthly renewal price of $1560 / month. A few weeks before receiving this letter my wife and I went around the area to see the prices for other apartments. We found a few places that had more square footage but for $20 more a month....

Purchase price vs the listing price on a Fannie Mae HOMEPATH house [ 2 Answers ]

How much lower can you offer as a purchase price vs the listing price on a Fannie Mae HOMEPATH house. It is foreclosed. Many houses in neighborhood on the market, many foreclosures in the area. We live in Winston Salem, NC. Obviously we want to buy the house for as little as possible.

Goods on consigment out at sale price ( including gross profit 50% of selling price) [ 1 Answers ]

This goods should be included in who's inventory. Having on mind that goods on consingment in belong to the consigner.

Require a website for UK price comparison [ 3 Answers ]

Hiya, very new to this site which looks brill... I need to find somewhere that can tell me prices in 1985 in the UK (prices of bread, milk, beer, newspapers etc etc) so that I can use the information for a birthday book that I am composing for someone. I would really appreciate someone telling...

View more questions Search