Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karly Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Am I Caring Too Much?
    My boyfriend mentioned to me today that I care too much about him. Apparently, since he signed off Instant Messenger in the middle of the conversation and didn't come back; I called him about 20 minutes after. He told me I didn't need to worry like that, but the thing is, he has diabetes and after a few incidents I've encountered with him, it has gotten me more aware and worried. He says that I'm sufficating him by caring too much; yet, when my computer signs me off IM accidentally, he calls me 5 minutes after or when I don't answer the phone, he calls every 10 minutes until I answer to make sure I'm okay. Doesn't that make him the hypocrite? I'm lost, but when he told me I care too much, it really upset me.
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Mar 15, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Karly
    My boyfriend mentioned to me today that I care too much about him. Apparently, since he signed off Instant Messanger in the middle of the conversation and didn't come back; I called him about 20 minutes after. He told me I didn't need to worry like that, but the thing is, he has diabetes and after a few incidents I've encountered with him, it has gotten me more aware and worried. He says that I'm sufficating him by caring too much; yet, when my computer signs me off IM accidentally, he calls me 5 minutes after or when I don't answer the phone, he calls every 10 minutes until I answer to make sure I'm okay. Doesn't that make him the hypocrite? I'm lost, but when he told me I care too much, it really upset me.
    Seems he wants all control in the relationship... you call too much... your too caring... you don't call often enough... he panics thinking you may get a life of your own! I would set some boundaries in this relationship or you both will be smothered by it and end up hating each other... I have been in this type of relationship, I know what I am talking about.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 06:41 PM
    He cannot live by the double standard that he himself has set? It is okay for him to call you every 5 minutes and yet he hollers "smother" when you call him after he signs off? That is not fair play.

Next time, if he signs off on an I'm, do not call. I understand him being a diabetic - my oldest brother is one - but you are not responsible for his medical care. And you hsould not feel like you have to be "the caregiver" here and check up on him. He is old enough to know his own indications of a problem. If you were right there, in the same room, yes, that is totally different. You can still care about him, but you need to set some limits here. Or, like swirlgirl stated, you will both end up hating each other for the suffocation. You can certainly tell him too that if he does sign off on an I'm, that you will not be calling to check up on him. Also, that you DO NOT expect him to be calling you like that either. You can say to him that if he does call like that - repeatedly, that you will not be answering the phone. He can leave a message.

It is about respecting personal space. Everyone, even married couples, needs that personal space that is just their own. Good luck to you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 08:19 PM
    How do you put up with such pesky behavior? I think you should reevaluate your definition of love and whether this is a healthy relationship. From here there is room for improvement, equality and mutual respect come to mind.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Boundaries are tricky business to sort out in the beginning. Its important that you hear his concern about feeling suffocated, that's for certain. But at the same time, he needs to hear you wanting to play by the same rules. That is only fair, and definitely what I would insist on.

It takes listening to really hear the other person first off, talking to reach a mutual understanding second and lastly modifying behaviors to work these things out.

Here are some hints on how to improve communication:

1. Try to keep it to one issue at a time.

2. Do your best to refrain from justifying -- "I do this (bad thing) cos' you do that (bad thing)". That'll get you both nowhere.

3. Also talk about yourself, not the other person. You know what you are doing, thinking or feeling a lot better than you know what he is doing, thinking or feeling.

4. Negotiating to a mutual understanding is helped by you saying things like "I am willing to do xxx" instead of things like "You need to do xxx."

I hope this was helpful and good luck!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by swirlgirl
    Seems he wants all control in the relationship....you call too much....your too caring...you don't call often enough...he panics thinking you may get a life of your own! I would set some boundaries in this relationship or you both will be smothered by it and end up hating each other.... I have been in this type of relationship, I know what I am talking about.
    I think this is the essence of the problem - he wants all the power. Not good! As swirlgirl says, set boundaries and stick to them. Otherwise you'll end up sabotaging this relationship.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Yes, there are double standards here. It makes for an unfair relationship. You should be upfront with him and say, hey when I call because I am worried I am smoothering you, but when you do that to me it is okay. I would remind him of this as soon as it happens. Reality check never hurt anybody. Tell him it is not fair and if that if you are worried your going to call, just like he does.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sadden by his lack of caring [ 4 Answers ]

I was dating this guy and we cared about each other a lot. We had a long distance relationship. I was devastated that he ended it. So anyway, Maybe a month or so after he started dating this girl. Not sure why , but I started to get phone calls, some girl telling me all about him and her being...

Caring for birds [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I'm pretty sad today A baby pigeon fell from a nest 2 days ago and I have been trying to take care of it with the hopes of it getting better and flying away one day. It was fine up until lastnight, eating and playing in the saucer of water I gave it. This morning I woke up and it was...

View more questions Search