Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLW Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Invisible biting/stinging bugs
    We live close to several farmer's fields and have gotten overwhelmed by some type of grain mite. As of yet, no one has been able to identify which specific type. Have tried many different sprays along w/ the exterminators advice. Anyone know how to get rid of these things. We have lost a couch and recliner along w/ our mattresses and window coverings because they live off the cotton, etc... This has cost us several thousand dollars and it's almost the time of year that this began last year. We need any advice you can offer. Thanks!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 07:12 AM
    KLW, I am so sorry for the problems you are having. Once there is an infestation, it is so hard to get rid of any kind of bug. Since it is cyclical and seems to be overwhelming, there is not a lot you can do if an exterminator can't really help you.

Once they get in, you can try bug bombs but you will have to leave the house for a couple of days and if the infiltration is a season long one, they will come back until the season is over.

If you have a veterinarian nearby, there is a spray can of pesticide they sell for fleas and other pests that you can spray on rugs and furniture. I can't remember the name of it but it is a large white spray can. I have found it to be very effective. It is not cheap but seems to do the trick to get rid of all small insects on contact. You need to make sure that all pets and children are out of the room when you are spraying. But, it might be able to help keep that bug population under control and not have to throw away furniture. Of course, the problem will be that you will have to buy a lot of cans and keep using the spray throughout the season. The other alternative, is other sprays that are recommended by the exterminators and you just have to keep reapplying every couple of days.

The bottom line is, there is no sure fire way to get rid of them in one shot. You have to keep reapplying the chemicals throughout the house during the season. You and your family should wear bug repellant at all times when you are outside. As soon as you get inside, you should remove clothes and wash them. Mites and other small insects will just come into the house as passengers and you need to find a way to keep them at a minimum.

Here are a couple of web sites that have products that supposedly keep them in check. I cannot vouch for them because I have never used them but I am trying to help you as much as I can:

Mite: Biting Mites That Can Bite or Annoy Humans

http://www.naturalginesis.com/myster...nd_people_.htm

Another suggestion is to check with your state and see if they have a Cooperative Extension. This is an educational arm of the state that deals with pests among other things. They very well might know which bug it is that is infiltrating the house and have some suggestions on how to get rid of them or control them.

Good Luck!
    trelawney Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 26, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Hi - I have the same problem. Someone just told me to try eucalyptus oil - wash stuff inn it, spray it (diluted) onto furniture, bedding, etc - if you Google "eucalyptus oil mites" it sounds promising. Then I found this site Method for killing house dust mites in clothing and other soft materials - Patent 20020022043 that lists a whole bunch of essential oils that kill mites quite effectively. I just found this stuff out tonight, so I haven't tried it yet - but you can bet I'm going out in the morning to find some and give it a try!!
    KLW Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll sure look into the sites. As for our county extension they won't even speak w/ us and have said that there is nothing from any of the field and that we're imagining things.
    Suzy-Q Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
    I battled this for months. It infests all things cloth/carpet/bed/upholstery. After cleaning like crazy for months, the ONLY thing that worked was a product called "Bifen." It is a poison pest control and some states require you have a license to use it but mine didn't-- I just bought it at the Co-op and mixed it with water and sprayed everywhere (I don't have kids or pets to worry about though.) I still had a problem with it in the carpet so I mixed the Bifen in my steam cleaner and ran in and it totally killed them in the carpet. As for my clothes, I didn't want the Bifen near my skin and washing/drying my clothes wasn't killing them, so I bought a deep freeze and did a rotation-- putting my clothes in a week at a time and then keeping them in garbage bags until I got the rest of my house rid of the mites. Also, change your vaccuum bag after each use (go outside to change it and immediately put a plastic bag and seal the used vaccuum bag before throwing away so they don't get out.) You have to treat these things like a bio-hazard. I haven't found anybody (doctors included) who can tell me what they are, but they are invisible and feel like pin-pricks and have left tiny red dots across my chest, belly, and upper arms that never went away (3 years later.) I used the measures above which are what worked after months of pulling my hair out! Good luck!!
    Loesch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I have this problem of a series of stinging bites with no bug to be seen. I have concluded that it is due to a biting mite from the description and photos of other cases on the internet. Fortunately my problem (frequency of bites) is a lot less than others who have written and told their stories on the internet. My invisible bugs usually bite once a year and for a duration of about a week. However in the past 3 years they are biting more and doing it over a longer period. My 3 or 4 bites in a week over a yearly period have increased to 15-20 bites over 3 weeks. Fortunately, they still only do this once or twice a year. I really don't mind a stinging bit if it would just go away like a mosquito bite but my body's reaction to what they inject is the problem. It takes 3 weeks for the welt from the bite to dry up and stop scabbing and oozing. I have tried Rx steroid cream on the bites but it doesn’t seem to do much good. The bite is worse than a black fly bite and comparable to a chigger bite. I live in the dry west at 7000 ft. and we don't have chiggers here. We do have a lot of birds, mice, packrats that live & nest near our house though.

Judging from what has been said on the internet, it looks pretty hopeless to try to get rid of the mystery bugs (especially if you can't see them). So my approach is to make myself a non target. By the way, they don't bit my husband so I just need to somehow be like him--not a tasty meal.

I found one person’s story on the internet of how he got relief. He took garlic supplements. He advised 3000 mg per day (that is 6 pills a day of the most potent brand of garlic: Nature Made with 500mg per tablet, 1250mg garlic bulb equivalent). I have tried this and each time I have taken it the bites have stopped. Eventually they stop on their own accord so I can't be 100% sure it is the garlic. However, this last biting episode I got a little better confirmation that the garlic might be working. I got the usual series of bites and started the garlic supplements. In a couple of days the bites stopped. I continued the garlic for a week then tapered off it. In about another 3 days the bites started again. I started the garlic again and in 3 days the bites stopped. I will now stay on the garlic for another 3 weeks before I try to wean off it again. I also eat about 2 cloves of fresh garlic per day for an extra boost. They are pretty tasty if you slice them thin and mico them 1 min in balsamic vinegar with a little garlic salt. I feel like I’m keeping the Vampire at bay with this concoction.
    Loesch 7/30/08
    rstmetal Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trelawney View Post
    hi - i have the same problem. someone just told me to try eucalyptus oil - wash stuff inn it, spray it (diluted) onto furniture, bedding, etc - if you google "eucalyptus oil mites" it sounds promising. then i found this site Method for killing house dust mites in clothing and other soft materials - Patent 20020022043 that lists a whole bunch of essential oils that kill mites quite effectively. i just found this stuff out tonight, so i haven't tried it yet - but you can bet i'm going out in the morning to find some and give it a try!!!!
    Did the oils work?
    findit Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Nov 25, 2008, 05:08 PM

I too have spent thousands and threw away shoes, coats, furniture. Incredible and understand your demise and sheer terror from this problem I have sat and cried wondering as I have tried all types of pesticides. I read that bifen is a good solution. I haven't tried it but I ordered it. I will write back with results. Here is a site to purchase it.

Bifen IT - Free Shipping

Nov 25, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Loesch View Post
    I have this problem of a series of stinging bites with no bug to be seen. I have concluded that it is due to a biting mite from the description and photos of other cases on the internet. Fortunately my problem (frequency of bites) is a lot less than others who have written and told their stories on the internet. My invisible bugs usually bite once a year and for a duration of about a week. However in the past 3 years they are biting more and doing it over a longer period. My 3 or 4 bites in a week over a yearly period have increased to 15-20 bites over 3 weeks. Fortunately, they still only do this once or twice a year. I really don't mind a stinging bit if it would just go away like a mosquito bite but my body's reaction to what they inject is the problem. It takes 3 weeks for the welt from the bite to dry up and stop scabbing and oozing. I have tried Rx steroid cream on the bites but it doesn’t seem to do much good. The bite is worse than a black fly bite and comparable to a chigger bite. I live in the dry west at 7000 ft. and we don't have chiggers here. We do have a lot of birds, mice, packrats that live & nest near our house though.

Judging from what has been said on the internet, it looks pretty hopeless to try to get rid of the mystery bugs (especially if you can't see them). So my approach is to make myself a non target. By the way, they don't bit my husband so I just need to somehow be like him--not a tasty meal.

I found one person’s story on the internet of how he got relief. He took garlic supplements. He advised 3000 mg per day (that is 6 pills a day of the most potent brand of garlic: Nature Made with 500mg per tablet, 1250mg garlic bulb equivalent). I have tried this and each time I have taken it the bites have stopped. Eventually they stop on their own accord so I can't be 100% sure it is the garlic. However, this last biting episode I got a little better confirmation that the garlic might be working. I got the usual series of bites and started the garlic supplements. In a couple of days the bites stopped. I continued the garlic for a week then tapered off it. In about another 3 days the bites started again. I started the garlic again and in 3 days the bites stopped. I will now stay on the garlic for another 3 weeks before I try to wean off of it again. I also eat about 2 cloves of fresh garlic per day for an extra boost. They are pretty tasty if you slice them thin and mico them 1 min in balsamic vinegar with a little garlic salt. I feel like I’m keeping the Vampire at bay with this concoction.
    Loesch 7/30/08
    Did the garlic work? Did you run out of time finding a conclusion before the end of this years cycle?

Nov 25, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by findit View Post
    I too have spent thousands and threw away shoes, coats, furniture. Incredible and understand your demise and sheer terror from this problem I have sat and cried wondering as I have tried all types of pesticides. I read that bifen is a good solution. I haven't tried it but I ordered it. I will write back with results. Here is a site to purchase it.

Bifen IT - Free Shipping
    I've read that Bifen might work as well; I'm resisting using anymore pesticides as they have made me ill from my past attempts, yet if it really works...
    TexasTexas Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jan 28, 2009, 01:17 PM

Dental Toxicities Parasitology Center Inc. parasite testing parasitology Dr. Omar Amin, Neuro-cutaneous Syndrome (NCS)
    Digestive health starts in the mouth: For many patients, dental and digestive health seem to go hand in hand. Currently there are a multitiude of procedures and materials that have been developed by the dental industry to promote dental health, not to mention to ward off infections and improve oral hygiene. Manufacturers of dental materials spare no effort to provide dentists with the widest array of amalgams, composites, sealants, varnishes, cements, adhesives, pastes, etc. We all know about mercury and heavy metal toxicity; see for example, Ziff (2002). What we did not know about is the involvement of dental sealants (liners in the causation of a newly discovered disorder called neurocutaneous syndrom (NCS) (Amin, 2003, 2004).
    NCS is a disorder that degrades the skin (cutaneous tissue) and neurological system of patients who have been treated with sealants during filling or root canal procedures. Patients sensitive to sulfa are especially susceptible to experiencing the neurological and dermatological toxicity symptoms of NCS. Neurological symptoms include but are not limitited to pinprick and/or creeping, painful, and irritating movement sensations, often interpreted as loss of memory, and light sensitivity may also be experienced. The cutaneous aspects include the development of small itchy sores or inflamed, elevated, pimples that may eventually evolve into painful open lesions with a tendency to spread. General symptoms include compromised immune system, fatigue, and psychological trauma.
    A complete description of NCS symptoms, the syndrome, compounding factors, and the toxic sealants, with case histories and treatment protocols, is given by Amin (2003, 2004) Dental practitioners should be aware of the adverse effects of using sealants, and employ this knowledge to safeguard the well being of their patiesnt.

SOURCES:
    Amin, O.M. "On the diagnosis and management of Neurocutaneous Syndrome (NCS), a toxicity disorder from dental sealants." Explore, vol. 13, no. 1 (2003): pp 21-25.
    Amin, O.M. "Dental sealant toxicity: Neurocutaneous Syndrome (NCS), a dermatological and neurological disorder." Holistic Dental Association Journal, no. 1 (2004): pp. 1-15
    Ziff, S. Silver Dental Fillings: The Toxic Time Bomb. Santa Fe, Aurora Press, 2002.

Jan 29, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTexas View Post
    Dental Toxicities Parasitology Center Inc. parasite testing parasitology Dr. Omar Amin, Neuro-cutaneous Syndrome (NCS)
    Digestive health starts in the mouth: For many patients, dental and digestive health seem to go hand in hand. Currently there are a multitiude of procedures and materials that have been developed by the dental industry to promote dental health, not to mention to ward off infections and improve oral hygiene. Manufacturers of dental materials spare no effort to provide dentists with the widest array of amalgams, composites, sealants, varnishes, cements, adhesives, pastes, etc. We all know about mercury and heavy metal toxicity; see for example, Ziff (2002). What we did not know about is the involvement of dental sealants (liners in the causation of a newly discovered disorder called neurocutaneous syndrom (NCS) (Amin, 2003, 2004).
    NCS is a disorder that degrades the skin (cutaneous tissue) and neurological system of patients who have been treated with sealants during filling or root canal procedures. Patients sensitive to sulfa are especially susceptible to experiencing the neurological and dermatological toxicity symptoms of NCS. Neurological symptoms include but are not limitited to pinprick and/or creeping, painful, and irritating movement sensations, often interpreted as loss of memory, and light sensitivity may also be experienced. The cutaneous aspects include the development of small itchy sores or inflamed, elevated, pimples that may eventually evolve into painful open lesions with a tendency to spread. General symptoms include compromised immune system, fatigue, and psychological trauma.
    A complete description of NCS symptoms, the syndrome, compounding factors, and the toxic sealants, with case histories and treatment protocols, is given by Amin (2003, 2004) Dental practitioners should be aware of the adverse effects of using sealants, and employ this knowledge to safeguard the well being of their patiesnt.

SOURCES:
    Amin, O.M. "On the diagnosis and management of Neurocutaneous Syndrome (NCS), a toxicity disorder from dental sealants." Explore, vol., 13, no. 1 (2003): pp 21-25.
    Amin, O.M. "Dental sealant toxicity: Neurocutaneous Syndrome (NCS), a dermatological and neurological disorder." Holistic Dental Association Journal, no. 1 (2004): pp. 1-15
    Ziff, S. Silver Dental Fillings: The Toxic Time Bomb. Santa Fe, Aurora Press, 2002.
    This may not apply to me at all such that I've no dental work done, ever. At present I do need to have a couple of cavities taken care of, and possibly a mild? Case of Gingivitius, otherwise, it doesn't add up. Thank you though for your time and effort.

RST

Jan 29, 2009, 08:00 PM

This answer is not only for you but for anyone else who is having problems that has had dental work done.

Jan 30, 2009, 11:23 AM

My comment didn't exclude others, just me.
    newt3057 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTexas View Post
    This answer is not only for you but for anyone else who is having problems that has had dental work done.
    And thank you again... I can not say thank you enough.
    Leslie:)

Feb 9, 2009, 03:02 PM

Also look into Demodex mites

Demodex Solutions heals itching, acne, rosacea, swollen nose and other demodex related skin deseases

This stuff works. I've been using it with great results.

Feb 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Hi,
    Thank you for the link. I ordered some to try.
    This has been a nightmare. Tea tree essential oil
    Is the only thing I have found that has given me any
    Relief so far. 10 drops in bath water and then after bath apply
    A dab of the oil on each bite. Apply dabs of oil 3 times per day.
    I went to the dentist and we looked up the components of
    What he used in my fillings and he had not used any of those
    Components like what was on the Dr. Amir's website;
    He also did an exray to see if any of the old dental work
    Was leaking and we found nothing. So then I went
    To the skin doctor where she said she agreed with
    My family doctor;that it looked like scabbies, but
    Did not understand why the scabbie cream they had given me
    Did not work. Going to do skin scape tests next Tues.
    Anyway... thank you so for the post and try the tea tree
    Essential oil... if you'd like for yourself. I ordered
    It off eBay. Have a good day.
    Sincerely,
    Leslie

Feb 11, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KLW View Post
    We live close to several farmer's fields and have gotten overwhelmed by some type of grain mite. As of yet, no one has been able to identify which specific type. Have tried many different sprays along w/ the exterminators advice. Anyone know how to get rid of these things. We have lost a couch and recliner along w/ our mattresses and window coverings because they live off of the cotton, etc.... This has cost us several thousand dollars and it's almost the time of year that this began last year. We need any advice you can offer. Thanks!
    Hi,
    Maybe that is what I have. Have these things been biting you? The doctors
    Can not figure out what has been biting me, they thought it was scabbies at
    First and of course I was floored because I am a clean normal person,
    Never thinking I would get scabbies. I am single and don't sleep around either, don't
    Have time for that. Anyway, the cream they gave didn't work and
    So they are sort of at a lost. But
    They will be doing skin testing on me next week. I know these things are in my mattress
    Too, but my exterminator came over about 4 weeks ago and looked for bed bugs and said there weren't any bed bugs in my mattress but sprayed the matress anyway. But the darn things came back about 3 weeks later and I was on the couch again. I do have a cat and I took him to the vet to be tested for scabbies, cat HIV and he was fine. They even gave Albert a shot for mange just to be sure. If you gather anymore information on this please share. Thank you.

Feb 11, 2009, 05:06 PM
    I've been using the stuff for demodex mites only for 11 days. I have the bar soap, the lotion, shampoo, and the XFML cream. It takes at least 10 days after you order to receive this stuff so make sure you order well before you run out. Actually right now I look worse my face and body is all broken out with itchy red dots, however, they say your skin will break out, on their website and to keep using the product, so I've been. Nothing has even remotely bothered these things and this stuff is sending them in a panic. You also have to use it for at least 4 months to make sure you kill everything, and then use it afterwards not as much, to maintain. I also let everything sit on in the shower for about 5-7 minutes to make sure it's well in my skin. I use less water to get a good lather and just keep rubbing it all over, and then put the lotion on after I dry off on every crevice of my body. I use the lotion 3 times a day. The XFML cream will burn your face, but you'll live.

Feb 11, 2009, 05:15 PM
    I threw out everything I owed and I moved at least 5 times trying to get away from this stuff, which also cost me thousands of dollars. I finally reached the conclusion that the common factor in all this is ME. I don't believe its really in the furniture or so much the clothes as much as the mites are deep in my skin and that is why I stopped moving and throwing stuff out and started completely focusing on the demodex mites solution listed above. I'm not saying it can't infest a couch or bed and if you are worried about that I would get a hot iron and run it over your furniture that will kill anything. Put a sheet on first if the fabric will be ruined.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My invisible child [ 59 Answers ]

Christmas is coming. Typically I meet my ex 500 miles away to swap the kids so they can spend time with me. This only happens twice each year. Once during the summer and once during Christmas. I am remarried and have 1 child with my new wife. She has an older child from her previous marriage. ...

Invisible dog fence electric use [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, our invisble dog fence is rated "12V, 850mA" How do I figure out how much electricity this fence is using/unit time when it's on? Thanks much.

Invisible [ 13 Answers ]

Has anyone out there ever felt so invisable that the air they breathe didn't even make a difference? I see that commercial on TV about mothers feeling invisable and I know who that feels, but it is worse when you get close to retirement and no one seems to see you or hear you. It's like you are a...

Puppy Biting [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old puppy. He is constantly biting at me and the kids. Help! How can we stop this ?

Biting puppy [ 3 Answers ]

We brought home a beagle/hound mix puppy that was abandoned near my husbands work. We took her to the vet and she has been dewormed, defleaed and had her first shots (she is 12 weeks old). She was pretty thin when we brought her home but is now coming along nicely and is putting on weight. ...

View more questions Search